Whale Shark in Atlanta

Elizzy

Behind the scenes at the Atlanta Aquarium:

Whale sharks are my fave fish! And of their 4, this is the largest (26 feet). Each have their own colored feeding bucket, so no one gets confused.

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/elizzy824/media/Coral/IMG_19991_zps17ea0028.mp4.html

IMG_19631_zps3f3c3385.jpg

Oh sea dragon, if you didn't require so much live mysis, you'd be mine:

IMG_19931_zps5bf27b05.jpg

These little guys spend their whole lives where they've burrowed:

IMG_19701_zps355f2afa.jpg

I love the Atlanta aquarium! My favorite so far, I was able to be there a few days after they opened back in 2005??? Did you happen to snap any photos of their reef exhibit with the tidal wave that goes over your head? I imagine their corals are a bit bigger and more mature in the 8 years since I first saw them... grin.png

I am so going there one of these days! Always wanted to see the whale sharks. There used to be a dive out of Texas City to the Flower Gardens in the Gulf that went after the full moon in Aug, bc that's when the mantas and whale sharks came for the coral spawning. Haven't done that one yet either, but the Stetson Bank dive with the same company was awesome!

I am so going there one of these days! Always wanted to see the whale sharks. There used to be a dive out of Texas City to the Flower Gardens in the Gulf that went after the full moon in Aug, bc that's when the mantas and whale sharks came for the coral spawning. Haven't done that one yet either, but the Stetson Bank dive with the same company was awesome!

Was it worth the boat rides?

The boat rides were rough for those of us that get seasick, but the diving was definitely worth it. Granted it was several years ago, but I loved it! Big huge brain corals and giant angelfish and all :)

Club trip could be good since my husband has never been, lol!

• 7 months later...

I did the flower garden trip on the fling live aboard twice now very pretty diving. I personaly did not like the rig divr felt to closed in, Afride i would get in the coral.

While I have not been to Atlanta Aquarium, I have seen Whale Sharks from the drilling rigs. In one case, I was less than 20' from a mother with her calf. When seen from above they have spots like a Leapord. These are very gentle animals. I would be surprised if they can survive long in captivity.

Patrick

Saw one once. We were fishing for dorado and it came up alongside our boat. Very cool. HUGE. Capt. said that is like a once a year thing for him, we were there on the right day.

****, I need to head offshore and catch some dorado again.

Archived