hermits and bioload?

esacjack

Mark states in this article, that hermits do not produce much of a bioload. I actually beg to differ. I have two bare bottom frag tanks running, of the two, the messiest bottom is the one with hermits. It astounds me how much waste hermits produce, and at the rate they produce it. The hermit tank has water changes much more frequently than the snail/star tank. Its the only tank I have that still shows signs of nitrates and ammonia! I clean the tank weekly, pumping out the poo from the bottom of the tank. It's pretty ridiculous. In comparison to a fish, maybe a a hermit produces a smaller bioload. Anyone have any input?

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2013/01/22/terrible-advice-tuesdays-tot-more-hermits-less-fish/#respond

I guess my question is are they producing waste by eating and defecating or are they producing "waste" or a lot of detritus by their action of scraping and pulling stuff off rocks? As far as contributing to the bioload reef systems in the wild are high nutrient systems that need a lot of "food" for the corals to eat and or absorb from the water so the more the merrier if you ask me.

Archived