What to use to glue rock together?

mrshall1027

I am thinking about how I want to redo my aquascaping and I'm leaning towards making a rock wall along the back of the tank, a lot like what's shown in

youtube video. I don't want to use any pond foam, so I was thinking I could just glue smaller pieces together to make it look like one large wall. Do you think that will work and if so, what should I use to glue the rocks together?

I've read about some people using JB Water Weld. It says it's drinking water and marine safe and can be used under water. But I also read that it makes the skimmer go crazy and overflow if not turned down significantly. Does all epoxy have this same effect?

Yeah. I would turn the skimmer of for at least a day if you are going to use a lot of JB or another one. Also, check the curing times. Aquamend is the other brand that's commonly available. One has about a 5 minute cure time, the other is 20 or so. You definitely want the longer cure time and probably at least 1 other person helping.

use lots of epoxy, (sticks or two part marine safe injector) turn skimmer off for 48 hours, run heavy carbon and mechanical filtration to pull extra out. Zipties are also another good source since you dont want to leave it out to cure, ziptie it down into position so it cant move, curing can happen underwater with certain glues but takes longer, I dont like waiting with my hand in the tank so I'd use zip ties :P

You could also get a masonry bit and plastic rod and drill holes and then stack the rock. I usually use a 5/8" bit and 1/2" CPVC pipe but you could use smaller diameter bits and pipe or rod. I would caution that if using zip ties their functional life in saltwater tanks is less than five years and I've seen some bargain brands start to fail in as little as a year and half so if you do decide to go that route make sure to get quality nylon and use heavier than is needed.

I have never tried it but RCA has a 2 part puddy that you mix and thenstick works ok wet but good dry is what they were saying. I have used it to stick corals in place but never tried to use it on rocks.

Archived