Must have's (bonus points if they're not common)

victoly

So I got to thinking today, what are the must have pieces of livestock that you think all your friends should know about and why? Bonus BONUS points if you post a picture. I'll split mine into three categories:

1) Coral: Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

cyphnew.jpg

This coral is beautiful and easy to keep (mine's on the sand bed)

2) Fish: Purple firefish.

purplefirefish-lg4.jpg

This fish has as much character as my clownfish, and was able to get along with their aggressive behavior. I will have at least one of these in my tank forever after.

3) Invert: Fighting Conch

Florida_Fighting_4f01c6bf20572.jpg

These guys have about as much personality as you could expect out of a snail. I have two, and they're indispensable. They've helped take care of my nuisance sand algae by constantly stirring it up.

Definately a +1 on the Cyphastrea. Of all my corals that I have had in my tank Cyphastrea is by fart the easiest coral to take care of. No RTN, STN, bleaching, stinging other colors, etc. It just always sits there and looks great.

Definately a +1 on the Cyphastrea. Of all my corals that I have had in my tank Cyphastrea is by fart the easiest coral to take care of. No RTN, STN, bleaching, stinging other colors, etc. It just always sits there and looks great.

say what?

say what?

He must feed it beans.

my cyphastra doesn't look great either most of the time, not sure why.

Coral- tough one, I always find myself staring at my duncans and monti caps

invert- I love the conchs, I have a teeny dwarf one as well as a few larger ones, they're cute

fish- my vote goes for cuttlefish

my two eupylia cristata are my favorite. A bit temperamental but perfect for nano and pico tanks! :)

Yeah, they are a really temperamental. I lost my 40 head colony a couple weeks ago due to changing up the landscape. Had a couple of heads of the skeletons in my pic. of the crab. They are not coming back. Time to trash them. Getting another colony of 75+ from a fellow member. Picked these up from AAF last week.

post-2511-0-32689200-1359575950_thumb.jp

post-2511-0-94925100-1359575977_thumb.jp

post-2511-0-60727200-1359576027_thumb.jp

post-2511-0-90608700-1359576087_thumb.jp

Well I won't get bonus points for pictures, but here are my thoughts:

1. Coral: Leptastrea. This unappreciated little beauty is hands-down my favourite coral of all time. They are colourful, unique in appearance, hardy, tolerant of a wide range of conditions, fast-growers and just as happy to be mainly photosynthetic passive eaters as they are to be greedy eaters if you feed. And I do love feeding my coral. My favourite color morph is a grass-green-tentacled sky-blue-centered leptastrea with a purple mouth, but even the most commonly seen lavender-centered brown-tentacled morph is beautiful. And any morph with orange pigment will fluoresce under actinics or blue LEDs with a flame-yellow colour unlike any other fluorescence I've seen in coral.

2. Inverts: Cerianthids. The beautiful NPS tube anemones capture the eye with the graceful motion of their long, delicate tentacles in the current with an elegance no other tentacled creature I've seen does. They also accept food readily, but in my experience they will make do as filter feeders as well. They have a bad rap for eating fish, but some owners will argue that they've never had a fish eaten by a cerianthid, which don't really eat fish in the wild, and that has been my experience as well. These guys can go in any aquarium, but they do need a DSB. If you don't have one though, no problem! Just fill a PVC pipe with some sand, let them burrow into it, and then put the PVC pipe whereer you want, stacking up LR around it to look good.

I also almost put Cassiopeia sp. jellyfish first, but they do best in aquariums dedicated to their care, as they need fairly low flow, or at least no pump to suck them up and juice them. I've had a lot of luck with them in 2.5g pico hexes using airstones to create flow. With a DSB to provide plankton and a lot of light from the shallow conditions to meet their photosythetic needs, they thrive, and they are so unique they always draw attention from guests. So they are worth mentioning

3. Fish: OK, I am mostly an invert guy. My favourite fish have always been the ones that I found fit each indivdual aquarium perfectly. That said, I do really like the llittle green-banded gobies a lot, especially for picos; and blennies, especially lawnmower blennies, are awesome for their personality--as long as you don't get one of the rare few individuals who attacks your coral.

say what?

He must feed it beans.

i caught wind of that "auto correct" as well rofl.gif

Archived