Proper Lighting for Macroalgae in 100 Gallon Tank

prettyfishy76

Lighting Question.

I have a 100 gallon Oceanic aquarium (60" long x 18" deep x 22" high) that houses seahorses. I do not keep any corals - just the seahorses and some macroalgae. I want to make sure that I have enough lighting on my tank to keep the macroalgae healthy and growing. I have two large clumps of red grape, some caulerpa prolifera, and caulerpa serrulata (this species is not doing well - could be due to the tank temperature of 72.5F). I plan on adding more macroalgae in the future.

I am currently using 3 strips of the 36"-48" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs with built-in timer. I won these as a part of a raffle at DFW MACNA in 2012. Do you think these lights will be sufficient enough for my macroalgae? I keep both the white and blue lights on at the same time.

I know a lot of people don't like these strips and few people do, but I'm using them because they were free and I wanted to make the best out of them (if possible). I thought they might work out alright since I do not have any coral. However, I would like to know if I need to look into another type of light or supplement what I have.

Here is some info on these 3 lights (from Marineland website):

Model: 36"-48"

Lamp Only Length: 34.75"

# of 1 Watt 10,000K (white) LEDs: 36 per strip

# of 1 Watt 460nm (blue) LEDs: 6 per strip

Wattage: 57 per strip

PAR/LUX at 12": 130/12700

PAR/LUX at 24": 64/5870

Lumens: 2,610

Thank you for the help and forgive me for my lack of lighting knowledge. grin.png

They're pushing it on the spectrum. I have a hard time getting macros to grow in 10,000K or higher LED lighting. The best spectrum would be 5000K - 7000K. Since they were free, and assuming you like the color, I would just stick with them and see what sort of growth, or lack thereof, you get. It should be apparent in a month or two if they're suitable.

On my sump I use A 5500k light which works great, as the previous two post said your color might be a little off, depending on the macros you have, the more yellow colored lighting might provide more growth

Thank you so much for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm glad I came here and asked this question. I have one of the clip-on lights from Home Depot on my sump, so that seems to be working out well. I'll start figuring out how to change the lighting on the DT. Thanks!

A lot of macro growers enjoy T5 lights for the output and growth they get. They are also a cheap light compared to LED and MH.

I'll send you a PM with a website that is experienced with macro. You can use their contact us form to get in touch and learn everything you need about light and macro.

Archived