Ich? What to do?

ShawnM

just ordered the UV designed to fit into the bio cube. Hooks into the return pump. Can't really put it on a timer or slow the flow down but I figure it is better than nothing and hides nicely in the back of the tank. Don't have a fuge on the cube so that isn't an option.

Why can't you put the UV on a timer? The return pump would run 24/7, pushing water through the UV unit. If the UV power cord is on a timer, the bulb would only be used during the "On" period.

Looks like my coral beauty isn't the only one I'm going to lose. One of my clowns was covered in white dust looking spots and having trouble last night. Woke up this morning and he is dead. I have one clown left in that tank. Guess I'll head over to RCA and see if they have the medicated food this morning. Unfortunately a QT tank isn't an option at this point.

Sorry for your loss, sucks to loose fish. If I were you, I would try to give your last clown to RCA (maybe they'll give you credit) and just let your tank sit fish free for a couple of months to get rid of the parasite. If you can't set up a QT, then you may want to purchase your next fish from a website like Live Aquaria where they quarantine and treat their fish before sale and come with a healthy arrival guarantee.

haha don't be a jerk. NEVER knowingly bring a sick fish to a store, that's mean, plain and simple. If you know the fish is sick. its just going to get their other livestock sick. Plus the stress from the drive would probably kill it.

I didn't suggest not telling them it was a sick fish. They have qt tanks and maybe they'd be willing to treat it. That's why I said "try to give it to RCA". I wouldn't ever suggest giving a sick fish away without disclosing it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I do like the thread you referenced and the author gave a very good description of "deviation from norm" and certainly reccommend people read the discussion you referenced but I have to disagree with the 9 weeks part. This quote is from the University of Florida paper mentioned above "The length of the entire life cycle varies, depending upon a number of factors, including strain of Cryptocaryon, temperature, salinity, and fish host (Colorni 1985; Diggles and Lester 1996a, b, c; Colorni and Burgess 1997; Yambot et al. 2003). Even for a specific strain and fish host, the life cycle may vary by weeks or months (Colorni and Burgess 1997). An average life cycle appears to be 1 to 2 weeks; however, life cycle durations may range from 6 days to 11 weeks, primarily because of the unpredictability of tomont development (Colorni and Burgess 1997; Dickerson 2006; Yambot 2003)." Seems like 11 weeks is a safer number to work with. Also what's rarely discussed is the cyst stage can be transferred between tanks on any hard substrate they've attached to.

I also do not think it is a good idea to put a UV on a timer. If someone knows of research please forward it to me but I have not seen any research showing the ich larva hatch out on a diurnal cycle so have to assume they are hatching out continually and I would want my sterilizer killing them continually as well.

When are pods most active and when do your powerheads/wave boxes run full force? Theres your answer.

I nuked my pod population when running UV 24/7. Since they are more active at night, they can roam around and not get nuked by the UV lamp if they have the chance of getting pushed through it.

Also, when your PH/WB are running full force, the "free floating" larva count will be much higher and you would want the lamp on to do the most damage.

• 2 weeks later...

So I know that I'm supposed to let my tank sit fallow for 6-8 weeks at least to let the ick run it's course and die out for lack of fish. Do you think that the UV will shorten that time? I'm missing the fish but not ready to endanger new ones by moving too soon.

The period of time a tank is to remain empty of fish is to let all the cysts that have formed to release their larva and have all the larva die off from lack of hosts. Referencing the research paper by the University of Florida posted earlier this cycle can last as long as 11 weeks.

As you can see from the various posts on this thread and others there's a lot of different experiences people have had, some much less tramatic than others. If you have a QT and a UV on your display tank the risk is probably minimal if you don't wait but how are you going to feel about it if you ended up with a particularly virulent strain and you loose fish again?

Archived