All Grain Hefeweizin

Jakedoza

This will be one of the brews that will be available at the March meeting that I will be hosting. I am still accepting donations to help recover the costs of brewing beverages, and I will be brewing a second beer as well. Here it goes..

This is the Anniversary Hefeweizin from Austin Homebrew. I am going to make a yeast starter to aid in speeding up the fermentation process. It is essentially a mini batch of beer.

I put 1200mL of water in a pot and started it to boil

IMG_0815.JPG

Once the water it boiling I will add 2 cups Light Dried Malt Extract (DME) and then let boil for 20 min.

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

You have to be careful when adding, or it will boil over FAST.

IMG_0821.JPG

While that is boiling I will sanitize the flask that will be used to grow the yeast culture.

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

Once the timer has gone off, the "wort" will need to be cooled. I will be using a wart chiller that is attached to the garden hose to cool the wort.

IMG_0822.JPG

After it is cool (Below 80F) I will pour it into the flask and then add the yeast.

IMG_0824.JPG

I cover the top with foil and put the flask on my home made stir plate.

IMG_0823.JPG

The yeast after 2 hours..

IMG_0826.JPG

After 6 hours..

IMG_0827.JPG

7 hours..

IMG_0828.JPG

The next morning... it made a mess and spilled over.. This is the first time this has happened to me..

IMG_0829.JPG

48 hrs later the yeast is ready to go. Since I was not ready to brew yet, I put the yeast in the fridge.

Brew day...

You will notice that this process is different than the last brew I did a write up on. I have gone to an all grain brew setup instead of the half grain half extract setup that I had before. This type of setup does take more time and attention, but you have more control of your brew. I also do it outside in the garage, which is easier to clean up if I do make a mess.

IMG_0834.JPG

Here are all the ingredients for the bear.. Grain, Hops, and Yeast..

IMG_0835.JPG

I clean and sanitize all equipment that will be in contact with the wort after the boil.

IMG_0836.JPG

Now I measure the amount of water I will need to steep the grains with and add it to the boil kettle. That is my friend John in the photo.. Hi John!

IMG_0838.JPG

Here is my mash tun. It is simply a water cooler with a filter to on it to filter out the grains.

IMG_0839.JPG

I added the grains the the mash tun.

IMG_0840.JPG

The water needs to be 165F before I add it to the grains.

IMG_0841.JPG

Here is the mixture of water and grains in the mash tun.. Now the lid goes on for 60 min..

IMG_0842.JPG

An hour later the wort is added back into the kettle so that it can be boiled.

IMG_0843.JPG

Here are the spent grains..

IMG_0845.JPG

Here we are starting to boil.

IMG_0846.JPG

Hops are added, then it will boil for 60 min.

IMG_0847.JPG

After an hour, the same process is used to cool the wort as I used before. The chiller is added to the wort while the boil is finished up to sterilize it.

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

After it is cool (below 80F) it is transferred to the fermentation carboy.. This will be its home for at least 3 weeks.

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

Here is what is left over in the bottom of the kettle..

IMG_0853.JPG

I am going to be using a different way to control fermentation temperatures than I did last time as well. I have a large trash can that I have added water to. I have wired up a water pump to a thermostat to control when the pump kicks on and off. The pump will pump the water from the trash can through a tube to the wort chiller that will be in an ice chest full of ice and then back to the trash can. The carboy with the brew will be in the trash can.

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

Before putting the yeast in the wort, I took a gravity reading. This will tell me the alcohol percentage and will in turn let me know when the yest has been exhausted and the beer is done and ready to be put in the keg.

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

Here I am adding the yeast..

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

Now we wait....

• 4 weeks later...

Hefe is a tough beer to get the right flavor profile on. A degree here or there can make the difference between bubblegum or clove or banana flavors..... IMO Low temps are the best for hefe ferments.

Making a Kolsch yeast brew next week. Not true to Kolsch style but close :) Good pix and write up! We should do a club brew some time.

Cheers!

Archived