new d.a.s 75 gallon

new55galSALT

Your system looks like it has the old DAS filter box. Water should flow through from the weir to the first small chamber on the right next is the skimmer chamber immediately behind it then UNDER the middle two anaerobic chambers (marked "Internal Filter #1" in your picture) to the chamber on the left (marked "Internal Filter #2") where there should be a filter spool and return pump. There should be a small valve on the return pump that lets you drip water into the narrow anaerobic chamber where DAS uses a small osmosis bag to slowly release their special liquid food for the anaerobic bacteria in the larger anaerobic chamber, there's a small hole in the bottom that returns water back to the flow to the left chamber. DAS actually has patents on this filtration design and in the 90's it was fairly popular in Europe but never caught on really well over here but I have seen systems run for decades utilizing it.

Personally i wouldn't bother with the anaerobic chamber, I see it as an unnecessary addition. I would encourage you to get Delbeek and Sprung's "The Reef Aquarium" Vol III. They discuss the various methodologies used for aquaria. As you are probably aware some filtering systems can be very complicated but simple systems can work very well also. While I prefer a system with as big a sump as I can fit sumps are not necessary to maintain a reef system. What I would consider essential is some good quality live rock that has been "cured" (quarantined) to help establish sponges tunicates bugs and other beneficial "stuff". Here's a filterless system I've been maintaining for 5 years now:

Honestly it came with the anaerobic stuff and food bag like you said tim.. i just didn't know how to use it so i did not set it up but it does have the spool filters and return pump with drip line ..and ive seen that video at alot of meetings but i never get tired of seeing the beauty of it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived