Trip To Oahu April 2013

My wife and I are visiting her family in Honolulu around April 1st, 2013. Our dive buddy is going, too. We plan on doing as much diving as possible. If anyone happens to be on Oahu at the same time, you're more than welcome to dive with us. My buddy will have his dive camera; a real one, not like mine. Anyone have requests for pictures of their favorite species in the wild?

Look up John Hoover's book and now an App. Everyone in HI knows his publication on identification of fish and inverts. I personally like to flip through the book pages while on the dive boat, great stories in it about certain species he's collected over several decades. The App is very user friendly and is fun to go through w lots of species while on dry land. Happy diving.

Look up John Hoover's book and now an App. Everyone in HI knows his publication on identification of fish and inverts. I personally like to flip through the book pages while on the dive boat, great stories in it about certain species he's collected over several decades. The App is very user friendly and is fun to go through w lots of species while on dry land. Happy diving.

Last year while diving there I picked up his Hawaii's Sea Creatures: A Guide to Hawaii's Marine Invertebrates, but the dive shop didn't have the others. A few weeks ago I got in Hawaii's Fishes : A Guide for Snorkelers and Divers and Reef Fish Hawaii: Waterproof Pocket Guide. You're right, they're great references. I hadn't heard about the app, so thanks for that. I wish I could put it on my dive computer. smile.png

Does anyone have experience shore diving on Oahu? These are the dives I've done there:

Way back in 1993 pre-wife:

Electric Beach (South Shore)

Haleiwa Trench (North Shore)

Last year with wife:

Baby Barge wreck/artificial reef (east of Diamond Head)
YO-257 & San Pedro wreck/artificial reef (off Waikiki west of Diamond Head)
China Wall at Spitting Cave drift (east of Diamond Head)
Corsair wreck (east of Diamond Head)
Fantasy Reef drift (east of Diamond Head)
Shark's Cove, Pupukea Beach Park shore (east end of North Shore)

The last dive in Shark's Cove was the best, so to cut costs and maximize dives we'll probably just do shore dives. I really want to dive Hanauma Bay. We want to do night dives with the mantas off Kona (Big Island), but I don't think we have the budget now.

Anyone know about good shore dives there, especially in late March/early April?

Are you asking about shore dives off Kona or Oahu?

Kona gets the same trade and prevailing winds as Oahu, so dive sites vary depends on the wind directions and surf conditions. Especially in the Spring time. Our week was met w some big swells in Kona in Jan (20-25') and just about everywhere was off limit except for surfing, that is if you are a good surfer in that kinda waves. You must have gone to Oahu in the summer last year to dive at Sharks cove, what was it like? Hanauma Bay diving is hard to beat tho, go off to the left side just before the breakers, further away from the snorkelers, that area is got some really cool stuff. Look for the Hawaii flasher wrasses. I am partial to the solid black long nose butterfly.

Yes, Oahu. We'll be going around April 1st, so hopefully the "Kona Winds" will be over or weaker and the waves will be nice. I've snorkeled in Hanauma lots of times and always wanted to dive. Last trip I finally had my chance. First try the park was full. Second time our gear was stolen. Third try the park was closed. Thanks for the good entry point.

Archived