Richard's Frag Tank

Richard L

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can you slowly introduce water into system or is it an all or nothing type thing? this tank is sweet, is the lighting as blue as the pictures makes it look?

Nah, its very white. Iphone loves to give the LED's that blue glow.

Good question on introducting the water. Initially, I plan on dialing down my variable speed return pump to about 55 gph so it will take several hours to completely intermix the water.

I know that my combined DT and sump's net water volume is about 210 gallons. The net water volume of the new tank is 130 gallons. If I'm doing the math right, combining the two would be like performing a 38% water change. (130g divided by a total of 340g). I don't think that my fish, softies and LPS will care about that. But my chief concern is that there is a good chance that some of my SPS may not respond well to any change, good or bad. Running Zeovit for 3 months I have learned that lesson over and over. I've experienced RTN of my more sensitive SPS just from minor drops in nitrate and phosphate. They don't seem care that the water is getting better they just want the changes to be slow and steady.

Fraggle rock-less...

Did you plumb or intend on it, straight to the DT sump, or do you have the DT overflow into the frag tank then into the sump?

The new tank is plumbed straight into the DT's sump. That way I can take either the DT or THE FRAG ZONE offline. (just trying out one of the the names!)

• 3 weeks later...

Tank update. It's starting to look like a frag tank! All of the coral, except for a few frags, was taken from my DT and sump.

post-2030-0-33880300-1364145299_thumb.jppost-2030-0-20946500-1364145324_thumb.jppost-2030-0-04690600-1364145346_thumb.jp

Also added the tank's first resident. Really cool painted angler from Divers Den. I've always wanted one but he would have been well feed on purple firefish and dottybacks in my DT. He's eating ghost shrimp right now but I'm working on transitioning him over to silversides. So far my silverside puppeteering is not that convincing.

post-2030-0-34675600-1364145954.jpg

Archived