Evaporation isues.

Mlaw

evaporation is a fact of life. I have a 130 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump. The 130 is about 3/4 closed on the top and the sump is wide open.

I have a 5 gallon reservoir and auto top off set up, but I'm refilling the reservoir roughly twice a week. This is a little costly but more than anything it is annoying.

I'm considering covering the sump. I've thought about having plexiglass cut to size but am not real excited about the cost and time to do it if it isn't going to result in a significant reduction in water loss. I thought I might experiment though with cellophane. If I stretch it over the top and hold it in place with magnets or something similar it should seal the top of the sump as well as plexiglass. Then I can measure water usage for a week or two and see if it is worth finding something more permanent.

is there any reason I shouldn't give this a try? for that matter if it works and seems stable why couldn't this become permanent?

I don't know what type of lighting you run but with the metal halide/T5 combo I run, I appreciate the evaporation as it cools my tank. Just mentioning so that you can think about possible heat issues resulting from lowering your evaporation issue.

-Ty

I've got a power compact over the display tank running 2 12k bulbs and 2 acitinic. I also have an LED bar on one side that I picked up cheap that puts out no heat to speak of. In the sump I have an old incandescent fixture from a 20 gallon long. Need to replace it but the budget hasn't allowed for it yet. All in all I don't think I'm putting that much heat into the water from the lights. Some but nothing like halides. I think I've just got a lot of open surface area and water movement.

Another thing to think about with possible heat issues is not just the amount added to the system through lighting but even the pumps. I did the equivalent of that experiment when mixing salt with a mag pump and closing the lid to the brute trashcan. I swear I could have made a nice soup out of the salt mix at the temperature it was at.

My advice is to get a bigger topoff reservoir, or automate the filling of the container. I ran my lines straight from my RO unit to the reservoir... all I do is flip the switch once a week and presto... its full again. I like to keep it someone manual (the switch) so that I don't accidentally flood my house... with a shutoff float valve as backup for my lack of a memory.

-Ty

My 92 gallon tank (plus 30 gallon sump) goes through about 5 to 7 gallons water due to evaporation each week, and I currently keep a glass top on the display tank. If I removed it I assume that would increase a good bit. I have a 36" PC fixture and two 36" LED lights. I don't think the PC light contributes too much to the heat/evaporation.

My advice is to get a bigger topoff reservoir, or automate the filling of the container.

+1

The more important issue's with everything being covered is the reduction of oxygen exchange. You will have less oxygen coming in, less C02 escaping which will depress PH/alk.grin.png I vote for larger container and automating your reservoi refill.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love evaporation, because it lets my ATO add more kalkwasser/limewater which means higher pH, alkalinity and calcium. I have a simple ATO system with a 5g bucket and about $40 in parts from AutoTopoff.com. Of course I needed a controller, so it's plugged into my Apex. I dump vinegar and pickling lime into the 5g bucket with RODI, and it works great. First I was using a DIY kalkwasser drippers, and that also works really well. You just have to refill it or swap it out every day.

Archived