Reusing aragonite sand?

Toxiq Reef

In the current Coral magazine there is an article about phosphate and it describes how old live rock and sand can leach out all the phosphate that it absorbs over time. I if you have nutrient sensiitve corals such as SPS, I'd toss the old and spend a few bucks on some new sand.

I rinse well and usually spread out on a table in the sun for a few days. You can always test sand put some in some water, let it sit for a while with a small pump or air line for water movement and then test for phosphates. Make sure to test the water before hand for phosphates to get a benchmark to start with.

I'm not to sure how much you value your time but by the time you spend a couple of hours rinsing, and more time generally messing around with old sand, it's cheaper and faster to just get new. doh.gif YMMV(your money, my viewpoint)

Cheers,

If it's aragonite or coral or limestone based sand it's buffering ability lasts until it's completely dissolved. There are other factors so don't rely on sand to buffer a system unless you use a Jaubert system.

Archived