How many shrimp

ShawnM

I am working on coming up with the livestock for my 55 gal tank. I have decided to put in a blood shrimp (for my cleaner) my daughter saw them and really liked them so I was wondering if I can have 2 of them with some peppermint shrimp.

Really I am wanting to know what would be to much to put in my tank as far as shrimp.

planned live stock

2 clowns w RBTA

green corris wrasse

pink spotted gobie

yellow tang

blood shrimp (maybe 2)

3-4 peppermint shrimp (aptasia eaters)

and various soft and sps corals.

No real limit on shrimp. They don't tend to get territorial. Pistol shrimp may fight over burrows but that's about all you have to worry about. For reference, I have a golden coral banded and a fire shrimp in my solana 34.

In my 6' 125g I have:

1 large (2") Tiger Pistol/Snapping Shrimp (Alpheus bellulus) <from 2011 20gal>

12 small (1/4"-1/2") Sexy Shrimp (Thor amboinensis)

3 huge (2") Pacific Scarlet/Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

2 medium (1.5") Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)

3 large (1.5”-2”) Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni complex) [had 6 of them, but gave 3 away]

2 medium (1.5”) Peacock-Tail/White Spot/White-patched/Glass/Pacific Clown Anemone Shrimp (Periclimenes brevicarpalis)

1 medium (1”) Spotted Cleaner/Commensal/Anemone Shrimp (Periclimenes yucatanicus) [had 2, one is MIA]

1 medium (1”) Porcelain Rock Crab (Petrolisthes galathinus)

2 medium (1”) Porcelain Anemone Crabs (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai)

1 medium (1”) Porcelain Anemone Crabs (Neopetrolisthes maculatus)

4 small (3/4”) Porcelain Rock Crabs (Petrolisthes sp.)

I've never seen an issue between shrimp or porcelain crabs, except the biggest Porcelain Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai) was a bully. I removed it and gave it away. The biggest problem becomes keeping them fed so they don't eat whatever is growing nearby without messing up the water. Oh, I strongly recommend you don't get Coral Banded Shrimp or Sally Lightfoot Crabs. Pretty much any of the anemone shrimp or crabs are peaceful (when not fighting over the same host). I've gotten to where I love the ornamental crustaceans more than the fish.

Edit: a wrasse will eat Sexy Shrimp and smaller individuals of any crustacean.

Archived