Broken Brace

Rjohn

I have a 72 gallon bowfront. When I removed the canopy to do a water change, I noticed my cross brace was broken. It is just plastic so I have realy doubts about its strength anyway. What does bother me is the gap between the broken pieces. Does this mean my tank is swelling? Could the tank lose it's structural integrity, scattering my water and fish across the living room? Is the only thing holding my tank together the glue between indiviual pieces of glass? I included a picture.

I should mention my tank is probably 10 years old.

post-795-0-41851800-1358446195_thumb.jpg

That's how much the glass flexed after the brace broke. You may be able to find a replacement trim for it if it's a common size. Another option would be to drain it enough to push it back and make a brace that you can silicon to the top, sort of euro styled. If you were really careful you could probably do it full with bar clamps and wood blocks, but it would be a high risk fix IMO.

Yes it's bowed out from water weight... Drain it some to relieve the weight and fashion a support ... Or order a new top frame if its a standard size. You can fashion a new support if you crafty and careful - several people have done it.

All of the above fixes seem kinda risky. I think I will work on replacing the tank asap. I have been wanting to get rid of the bow front for years anyway, just either couldn't afford or justify the expense. Now I can justify spending the money. Any one got a 75 or 90 gallon tank, stand, and canopy they aren't using?

Pat had the same thing happen to his tank and was able to put a really strong rubber bungie cord running from the front trim to the back trim to hold it while he fashioned a permanent solution. I wouldn't have believed it, but when you saw it when the bungie on and off there was a difference of about 3/4" of flex in the glass.

Archived