Stephen's 2.2g Pico

Stephen

Thanks Kim! There's some frogspawn, pavonia, ORA birds of paradise birds nest, gorgian, green acan, few eagle eye zoas & eyes of rah, purple digi(looks light brown :/), brown galaxea and another one that is really damaged from my main tank. Don't remember the name.

The back is my sump, it holds my heater, pump, activated carbon and live rock rubble. There is also room in there for my ATO and diy skimmer, but not enough free time to build and assemble.. :(

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, small update on the pico! Tank is doing extremely well. I am really seeing some great growth on my birds nest, pavona and frogspawn. I added a gbta that I almost lost to a powerhead in my 40 gallon. He somehow survived and is tiny.. About the size of a marble. Pretty crazy how they regenerate. . I also brought over a few frags from my 40 gallon, because I am in the process of downgrading. Lol, I've decided to build another pico since I love this one so much.

7ady6ahe.jpg

na6ehaze.jpg

2aqequha.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey everyone, just wanted to give an update. Tank is doing exceptionally well, just completed my move from north austin back south. I'm in the 78745 again. Here are some shots of the tank today. I did a 50% water change on Monday when I moved the tank. First water change in over 3 months!! Seeing some great growth too! Currently supplementing reef+, calc and alk everyday.

I decided to retire my old led fixture after almost 2 years of solid performance without a heat sink and fan!! The leds and connections seemed kind of sketch so I thought it was a good time for a new led build:)

post-662-0-82860600-1402080113_thumb.jpg

New led build will consist of 2 arrays of (7) 3 watt leds mounted to an old intel duo cpu heatsink powered by two cheap dimmable drivers from china. I plan to attach to a fan to the heatsink and then mount to this old bbq grill led light that someone gave me for xmas one year. I've already gutted the bbq led light and drilled the heatsink, now I'm waiting to find a fan and then mount leds so I can sodler everything up! I'm hoping to find a small circular cpu fan at radioshack or discount electronics today. Something less than 4" in diameter and less than an 1" thick. If anyone has any ideas please shoot them my way!

post-662-0-96528700-1402080144_thumb.jpe

post-662-0-13742600-1402080155_thumb.jpe

Updated pics of the tank are with an old cfl lightdoh.gif

post-662-0-05093500-1402080137_thumb.jpe

post-662-0-30765800-1402080161_thumb.jpe

post-662-0-34468900-1402080131_thumb.jpe

post-662-0-53842800-1402080124_thumb.jpe

really cool man! Ive got a bunch of old heat sink fans (i typically upgrade from OEM when i build my PCs, I'm a quiet freak), but I might have something for you. PM me this evening to remind me with the specs you're looking for.

really cool man! Ive got a bunch of old heat sink fans (i typically upgrade from OEM when i build my PCs, I'm a quiet freak), but I might have something for you. PM me this evening to remind me with the specs you're looking for.

Thanks for the offer bud! Ended up going to HD and found a 2" to 3" reducer, put an end cap on the 2" side and with a little dremel/drill work made a nice little fixture housing. What do you think?

post-662-0-29300400-1402157899_thumb.jpg

post-662-0-75237900-1402157906_thumb.jpg

post-662-0-25556500-1402157914_thumb.jpg

post-662-0-09159400-1402157922_thumb.jpg

post-662-0-15194700-1402157930_thumb.jpg

looking legit. can't wait to see the whole light fixture up. so the goose neck is from a bbq led? I need to look into this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I'm hoping the goose neck will be step enough to support the light. We will see.

Anyone know what this is? It looks like a snail shell, but now it's growing. There is a little tube coming out.

za6yvytu.jpg

Vics right, it won't cause serious damage, but they're not pleasant to watch at all. I have a one in my paly field and it always casts out a gross sweeper when food, or sand gets stirred up.

Making nice progress on my light. Here are some pics of my test run. All that's left is to clean up the wiring and put driver in a project box. I'll post a FTS with the new light when I get it up.

Decided to go with a single array of (11) 3w LEDs. (3) Royal Blue, (3) cool whites, (2) blue, (2) ultra violets and (1) turquoise.

5yduzu4y.jpg

re5uja5u.jpg

zebysuga.jpg

Picked up this little guy at the beach last weekend. Found his claw stuck in my foot as I was walking. He's about the size of a dime. Anyone know what kind of crab this is?

He seems peaceful so far.

pysu4y8y.jpg

Pretty cool. No idea what it is but I'll check my marine animals of the gulf coast book, to see what I can find. Probably a sand crab of some sort though, where did you stumble upon him?

Closest I could find was a lady crab... They look similar but are only found on the upper pacific coast. If you could figure out when and where he latched on to you I might have a better chance

So it turns out the LEDs were a lot brighter than I expected. Here they are at about 40%. After getting it setup I realized I would need to add lenses, because the way the tank is positioned on the book shelf just blinded the heck out of anyone trying to view the tank. Not sure on the degree of optics though. Anyone know how to tell?

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it so far, the corals have been under a low watt cfl for the past few weeks and seem to be responding favorably to the LEDs so far. I'm trying to be real careful not to go too hard on them too quickly. Downside to using the gooseneck that I did is that I am limited to the positions I can place it without being too heave and toppling over. What do y'all think?

e6e4ujuv.jpg

Archived