KimP 3gal Micro-Reef

KimP

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jazyzyga.jpg

The University of Texas, Molecular Bioscience Lab has the largest collection of micro algae in the world. Most are frozen in time with liquid nitrogen at -400 degrees below zero. A big part of their collection is fresh water algae. There were some algae isolated in desert sands and some on mountains in the snow. To see pictures of red snow and yellow snow was awesome.

Patrick

I read up what I could find on the various algae and actually couldn't find much info. I went ahead and just put them in. 2 of the 4 vials I only put in half of the contents so I have reserves in case something eats them. The other 2 I wasn't able to just put in some because they were 1 piece, so I'm just hoping those make it without any trouble.

FTS

post-1781-0-15788100-1399066816_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-90436000-1399066809_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-98114600-1399066812_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-44810100-1399066825_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-10212300-1399066828_thumb.jp

Random tank pics:

post-1781-0-00105400-1399066808_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-66475200-1399066819_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-17059600-1399066823_thumb.jp

i love those alga. especially the ones in picture 3 and 5.

i am getting a little tired of the dendro envy looking at your tank. i may have stop looking at your thread until mine makes its comeback :).

Had some issues posting but I made it work... so you're not crazy Planeden. Well, not regarding this post at least! fish.gif

I feed those guy's frozen almost everyday. For some reason, pulling out a long feeding pipette and trying to aim for the dendro's tentacles seems like way too much work for me.

Thanks for the feedback :) I have all the dendros in there to nurse them back to health and it is a bit of a pain to target feed but it's super easy and fast in the pico.

Had some issues posting but I made it work... so you're not crazy Planeden. Well, not regarding this post at least! fish.gif

I feed those guy's frozen almost everyday. For some reason, pulling out a long feeding pipette and trying to aim for the dendro's tentacles seems like way too much work for me.

oh, my target feeder makes it a breeze. it is about 2.5" long and has a great grabber that feels almost like a hand. wait...it is a hand. and the girlfreind doesn't mind the perpetual towel on the bathroom door or the drips on the tile going for it after i inevitably forget to grab it before i stick my arm in.

i must say, my grabber was a lot better when it was a pinch of mysis shrimp than it is now that it is plankton and a prayer.

Thanks for the feedback smile.png I have all the dendros in there to nurse them back to health and it is a bit of a pain to target feed but it's super easy and fast in the pico.

it seems to be working. they all look healthy to me.

Thanks for the feedback smile.png I have all the dendros in there to nurse them back to health and it is a bit of a pain to target feed but it's super easy and fast in the pico.

Thanks, one clump of them is taking a while to start growing tissue back, but at least it has it's tentacles out for feeding. How's yours coming along?

Thanks, one clump of them is taking a while to start growing tissue back, but at least it has it's tentacles out for feeding. How's yours coming along?

I've added a response in my build thread to avoid taking your's over. but i think there are at least 4 tiny mouths now with a few more possibly coming.

• 3 months later...

Well, today is a sad day in my little reefing world. I just shut down this tank. I will sure miss watching the little goby and pom pom crab. I moved them and any other critters I could find into the 90 gal, including one of the algae specimens that survived. I also moved all the corals I could without (hopefully) transferring any of the blue clove polyps. I'll most likely keep all the equipment because I'd like to set it up again someday. I shut it down for a couple of reasons, it was hard to keep the glass clean because of the way I had the rocks set up. Even with a nano glass cleaner it just didn't cut it. So every time I'd do a water change I'd have to scrape the glass. That combined with fighting gha for too long made the weekly maintenance on this tank too much when I need to be spending that time on the other tanks I have going. If/when I do it again I will have the aquascape well away from all the glass, not keep livestock that need broadcast feeding, and keep up with smaller more frequent water changes.

post-1781-0-93918300-1407439024_thumb.jp

So I think that just leaves Stephen and jestep, right?

Still have mine going. Not sure if I am going to keep it up for a lot longer unless I can find a place to put it. Kitchen counter in the new house isn't going to work. Possible office tank. It's nice to be able to move it easily at least. My 90 gallon took about 8 hours to move total. This one only took me 12 minutes including draining and filling.

Archived