KimP 3gal Micro-Reef

KimP

Neat little fish. Great to see your Pom Pom crab, huh?

Do you feed the corals anything? Might help growth.

I find myself reminiscing. Fun little tank.

Thanks, you took great care of it! I feed cyclopease and occasionally flakes crumbled up small, and even less occasionally filter feeder food. I spot feed the dendro pellets. In such a small volume I worry about feeding too much and too often..maybe I can increase feeding with increased water changes?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and I see the pom pom crab out every time I feed, and sometimes just for no reason, so that's fun! He's much more comfortable being out now.

I don't know for sure. But I had a lot of sudden growth after starting to feed more plankton in one zoa colony and another zoa colony got disneylike eyelashes when I started with target squirting. I only have the two zoa types in there, so that is the extent of my research :). I started ith a little squeeze bottle, like the kinds you'd use for dyeing, and just gave them a good squirt. Now I just dump it in and let anyone who wants it have it. I doubt little target squeezes would require extra water changes, though. But you can tell after you start it. Well, if you start it :).

Your Pom Pom crab will probably like the plankton, too. I feed it at night sometimes hoping to coax him out for a rare sighting. How cool is it that yours is out o often.

Got a new FTS after cleaning up the glass some.

post-1781-0-23382700-1394398574_thumb.jp

Snapped some shots of things in the tank

Pom Pom crab

post-1781-0-67548100-1394398570_thumb.jp

Cloves from Sherita

post-1781-0-08648300-1394398578_thumb.jp

Leptastrea

post-1781-0-59517600-1394398582_thumb.jp

Toadstool (usually the polyps are out about twice this long)

post-1781-0-96505600-1394398586_thumb.jp

Dendro

post-1781-0-10369700-1394398591_thumb.jp

Fish

post-1781-0-09522100-1394398595_thumb.jp

I don't know actually. I'd imagine one. It's in a cave so I'm not sure how it's going to end up growing. I might have to pop it out of there eventually. Next time I'm working in there I'll look, now I'm curious!

• 4 weeks later...

The pico's been doing well. I've kept up with water changes and things are looking up! The pom pom crab is out all the time now and I'm really enjoying him. I'm thinking of changing the background back to black and adding a few tiny frags on the big rock, as long as things keep growing well.

You can see the fish and the crab out in this fts

post-1781-0-73456800-1396555940_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-06082000-1396555954_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-18739000-1396555958_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-26530900-1396555962_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-01692400-1396555966_thumb.jp

Looking great. Are ours the only contest tanks still up? Might have to go back to the thread for a 1 year reunion.

Thanks! It hasn't been too long since Stephen posted about his. His looked fantastic, so I'd hope it's still running.

I managed to get this video of the pom pom crab eating cyclopeeze a few weeks ago. The tank is in better shape now but I still wanted to post the video anyway. It's narrated by my 1yr old.

That porcelain crab is somehow mesmerizing and altogether creepy at the same time.

It sure is! Thanks for helping me get the video posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday subsea let me tag along on a vip tour of the UTEX Culture Collection of Algae lab. It was so amazing and they were very gracious hosts. They have shelf after shelf after shelf, lining all the walls, full of all these different types of algae. The directors of the lab gave subsea these 4 samples and he's going to let me give them a try in my pico. We figured they'd have a good shot in there seeing as I can easily control the flow, lighting, temp, and placement of the algae and keep a close eye on them. Right now I have them on the window sill as I find time to research each of them. Once I find out what I can about each of their natural growing conditions, I'll get them placed in the tank. If I felt comfortable getting out half of each, without introducing contaminants into the tubes, I'd do that. I'm going to try and come up with something. The lab director said they'd be good in the tubes for a month or so, so that'd buy me another chance with each, if something happens to one. I'm pretty excited! 3 of the 4 are really neat looking! And the other kinda looks like bubble algae, not gonna lie ;)

Archived