KimP 3gal Micro-Reef

KimP

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BCP gonna get you!

BCP is not listed on the ARC approved acronyms list. ok, fine, not "approved" per se, but "commonly used". google was no help either. So, i humbly request a definition.

Lol, took me a second too. Blue clove polyps. They spread all over everything.

BCP gonna get you!

BCP is not listed on the ARC approved acronyms list. ok, fine, not "approved" per se, but "commonly used". google was no help either. So, i humbly request a definition.

Lol, took me a second too. Blue clove polyps. They spread all over everything.

Thanks ms. P. they look nice, though.

BCP gonna get you!

Yeah I thought of that when I put it in. I think I remember you writing that it doesn't hurt the other corals right? I was wanting it to spread :)

I didn't think I liked toadstools till I saw yours. I really like your tank. Good job.

Hi! Thank you, I love the toadstool in there too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I guess it's our turn...I woke up just now to find our a/c out. Fun times. At least it's night and only going to get cooler. My tank is okay for now but things are going to get really interesting if we can't get it working later in the day. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to keep a stable temp and salinity in 3 gal of water if/when it gets really hot in here. I have a fan for these occasions so I guess I'll try that and keep topping it off, or float some ice. Hopefully we'll just be able to get it fixed asap...I'll have to take the kids elsewhere if it gets too hot. Maybe it'll be worth draining the tank and just bringing it with us if that happens. :(

That sucks. I'm glad ours went out when it was just over 90. Keep the tank lights off and the shades down. Tank is probably fine as long as it doesn't break 88 - 90 for too long. I surprisingly only bleached 1 coral even though the water temp did hit 90 on 2 days. A fan can do a lot of evaporative cooling as well.

i have a little table top fan the blows like the dickens if you want to borrow it. it may be this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-TurboForce-9-in-Tabletop-Fan-HT-900/202182997?N=c4ki#.Ua9GO5z_pQE i also have a 20" box fan that is not exactly "kid safe". at this point i would need to pull one of the guards completely off for it to work (intake side).

good luck and stay cool.

oh, and if you pack it up and take it somewhere with the kids, let me know so i can laugh at the crazy lady with the fish tank at starbucks :). come to think of it you can bring the tank here, as long as you don't bring the broken a/c mojo with you. my house is kind of a mess and i'm stuck by the computer all day (there's a web meeting going on all day), so i can let you in and show you the plug and a spot on the table.

Thanks everyone. I have a little fan. My only thought is in 3gal it's going to need lots of frequent top offs from evaporation. I have some ice in a bag floating in there now. It's up to 82 in the tank. I think I'll be fine unless we decide to go to a friend's house for some a/c. At that point I'll probably decide it's best to take it somewhere. Unless the ice trick works and I feel comfortable leaving it for several hours. We'll see!

take the osmolator off of the big tank and put it on the small one :) it doesnt have to be pretty, just just has to work. you should be able to keep your temps reasonable.

That's a great idea, you think it'll work in such a small tank? Now I just have to figure out how to set it up, lol. I also have a jbj ato that I was going to sell. Would that work better? I've never used either.

Now is the time to figure it out right? You could even mount it to the front of your tank. I think the tunze may work a bit better in this application because it's a single mag mount, instead of having to mount a float switch off the side.

I wish :/ It's very warm in here to say the least. We have someone scheduled for tomorrow afternoon "sometime". My husband is unpacking a window unit right now to help out a little. I have a fan and that ato on my pico and it's held steady at 80.5. Guess that'll have to do!

glad it worked. it's gotta be pretty hot/humid to get your tank into dangerous territory if you're using evap cooling with an ATO. On the downside, you will be increasing your humidity over time, since your ATO is essentially dumping water vapor into your house, which will lead to a decrease in effectiveness. That may only have an effect on a huge (>3 gallon) tank with a longer downtime.

The AC guys are working overtime right now :) Luckily mine broke down in November.

I know they're really busy, that's why we went and got a window unit, we don't know how long it'll really take to get fixed. I peeked through all the cords and fan and looks like my red monti cap is mostly bleached. I hope that's the extent of it.

The house is finally cooled off and I removed the extra equipment from the tank. Nothing looks particularly awesome. This is the only obvious damage so far.

post-1781-137057341729_thumb.jpg

If the tank stabilizes, I wouldn't be surprised if it grows back over the bleached areas. Red caps are pretty much the only coral I've had to grow back over completely bleached areas over time. I've got one that was down to a few centimeters that's almost completely grown over again. Was about the diameter of a softball before I messed it up.

Archived