This is a majano, right

jaggedfire

I agree. For what that's worth.

River City Aquatics has some in the live rock tank right now. They had more but have been getting rid of them. You can drop by and do a comparison if you want to be sure.

Very invasive! Some animals can occasionally reach numbers that cause problems for some aquarists but not others. (I've seen tanks with just a few Aptasia that never seem to reproduce.) Majano's reproduce rapidly in every tank I've seen them in and can be difficult to irradicate once established.

I've always wondered why this is a problem? If you had them in a fish only tank so they weren't bothering corals would it be an issue? Do they sting the fish? Do something bad to water quality? Other than taking up real estate that you want to use for corals why are majanos so bad?

• 2 weeks later...

Mlaw, from my experience, there are three primary reasons people dislike them: A) They do sting everything that they touch. B) They reproduce like crazy, spreading faster than wildfire. That can even be a problem in FOWLR tanks, if you don't like the look of rocks where every inch is covered in majanos. And I do mean every inch. C) As mentioned, they are very difficult to eradicate...so of you decide that you don't like that look, by that point you don't really have any option but to take the live rock out and cook it, making it live rock no longer, and causing you to have to cycle the aquarium all over again if you reintroduce it. And most people eventually decide that in fact, they really don't like that look.

You can also pick them off one by one which is what you have to do when they get into your colonies. Fortunately a LED light with some 400nm LEDs make them fluoresce green so they can be picked out from between polyps you want to save.

Archived