Fluval Spec-V

jestep

Got denied driving up north this afternoon, so took some pictures instead. Ricordea are growing great. Some have 3 or 4 mouths already.

IMG_0105_1024.jpg

IMG_0118_back.jpg

IMG_0114_1024.jpg

IMG_0121_1024.jpg

IMG_0110_1024.jpg

Here's the poor guy I bleached. Still hanging on though.

IMG_0123_1024.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Starting a new thread from my pico contest tank. This was originally started as a low budget 5 gallon pico. Tank was started at the end of January.

Start:

pico-rock-2.jpg

1.5 Months:
IMAG0914%20(Custom).jpg

~ 3 Months:
IMAG0976%20(Custom).jpg

4 Months:
IMG_0105_1024.jpg

6 Months:
IMG_0230_1024.jpg

IMG_0225_1024.jpg

Added 4 zoa frags this weekend, Bam Bams, Eye of Rah, Green Bay Packers, and Dragon Eyes. Pictures to be added when they all open back up. 3/4 frags are open, waiting for the Bam Bam's to open back up.

I think I'm actually too nutrient deficient right now. Some of the Gracilaria is bleaching. Possible that it's getting too much light. But I think it has used up most of the nutrients in the tank. Did my 4th water change when I got back from vacation last week. Haven't tested anything but salinity in months.

Here's my total tank cost thus far. I'm proud of the result given how little I have spent on this tank compared to my other ones, including my freshwater ones.

Spec-V tank: $80

Hydor 25W Heater: $13.99

Custom LED Fixture from Rapid LED: $71.25

About 2# of Caribsea Special grade: ~$5

About 3# BRS Pukani: ~$15

Dragon's breath and Gracilaria Hayi Macroalgaes: ~$15

10 Pack of ebay Ricordea (Actually received about 15): $84

Under $300 with coral. I wouldn't dare tally up my expenses for my main reef tank. I'd probably pass out considering an MP40 costs more than this entire tank by themselves.

Upcoming plans.

Hardware:

Upgrading to a Mini Jet 606 if I can find one.

InTank media rack if they ever get them into production for the spec tanks.

Livestock:

Purple Cespitularia

Something green. I'm probably the first reef keeper to say they need more green corals...

Possibly a pair of neon goby's.

Still on the fence about sexy shrimp.

Gorgonians if I can get more flow in the tank.

That macro is amazing!

Thanks.

Current cell phone picture, I'm bleaching the tips pretty bad.

IMAG1097%20(Custom).jpg

Maybe subsea or someone that grows hayi more than myself can comment on whether they think it's due to too much light, or lack of nutrients, or both. Although I did back it off considerably a week ago I'm still leaning towards light as I do have some light cyano appearing. But I've had cyano varieties that were fine in near zero nutrient environments so not sure on that either. Regardless, NO3 and PO4 are so low that I cannot detect them with normal testing methods, salifert and hanna respectively.

• 1 month later...

Backed off my lighting intensity and did a water change using my main tank water and it looks like I curbed the gracillaria hayi recession. I don't like making multiple changes at the same time, but was at risk for losing my hayi at the rate it was bleaching. You can still see the white tips but the bleaching has stopped as far as I can tell. Also had to add some GFO. No question my rock started leaching PO4 into the tank. Really bazaar having to intentionally add nitrates to a tank while having to chemically remove PO4.

IMG_0432_1024.jpg

Dragon's breath on the right, hayi on the left:

IMG_0425_1024.jpg

Bam bam's. One of the four zoa frags I added a few months ago:

IMG_0426_1024.jpg

One more eye of rah zoas:

IMG_0427_1024.jpg

The pico is looking great. That macro is so pretty in there!

Thanks. Seriously thought I was going to lose all the macro. Very thankful subsea suggested lack of NO3 was the problem and brian.srock suggested the easiest way to add some back in.

• 4 months later...

Haven't updated the contest tank for some time. Had a massive red flatworm explosion in this tank which was really unexpected having no additions for more than 2 months.

Saw this guy one day, and the tank was swarming about a week later.

flat-worm.jpg

Ended up grabbing an awesome springer's damsel from aquadome and it literally eat several hundred or thousand red flatworms in a matter of hours. This guy is one of the best pico fish I've ever found. I have always really liked springer's for their flatworm eating and mild temperament, but he really works better than I was expecting in such a small tank. Very calm, just hovers over his rock and mulls around hoping for another flatworm. I'd even say he's more mellow than a clownfish. I could hand feed him after about 2 feedings. In a 5" wide peninsula style tank, I have been very surprised by how social he is with humans and foot traffic.

The flatworm annihilator!

IMG_0681_1024.jpg

Other pictures.

Red Discosoma sanctithomae mushroom. Had to remove this guy from my main tank because he kept getting blown into a 10" hammer coral. He's about 1/3 the size of a few months ago but is looking pretty good. Was more like a shriveled a ball of goo for a few days.

IMG_0688_1024.jpg

Interesting red macro that came on one of the original rics that I've added. Very slow growing across the top of the rock. Hoping I don't some day regret letting it survive. Would love for an identification if anyone has one.

IMG_0696_1024.jpg

I don't know about that macro, interesting. I got one of those springer damsels too, after reading your recommendations. It was hard to tell if he ate any flatworms in my big tank with all the other things in there. That's cool how you could tell how many he ate in the pico since he's the only fish! Have you noticed needing to change your maintenance since adding it?

Hey, we made it one year with our picos! You should post a fts :)

I don't know about that macro, interesting. I got one of those springer damsels too, after reading your recommendations. It was hard to tell if he ate any flatworms in my big tank with all the other things in there. That's cool how you could tell how many he ate in the pico since he's the only fish! Have you noticed needing to change your maintenance since adding it?

Hey, we made it one year with our picos! You should post a fts smile.png

It was really cool in this tank. 100% confirmation on the flatworms for sure. I added him in the afternoon on a Saturday. He hid for about the first 6 hours, and by Sunday mid-morning probably half the flatworms were gone, by Monday I couldn't find a single one.

He just sits there waiting for food now anytime someone is near the tank even more so that my tangs in the big tank.

So far no changes. My corals look better probably because he's eaten the crazy amount of pods, and the macro's are looking better likely due to finally having a nutrient source. Will give it a few months to make a determination on how much it has changed.

Crazy it's been a year already. I took a few FTS's but the glare was really bad. I'll try to get a better one to post.

Archived