Share stories and discuss your latest or planned Scuba or Snorkeling trip!

mFrame

The hobbies of reef-keeping and diving often go hand in hand. My personal interest in reef keeping was rekindled when my wife and I honeymooned in New Zealand and Australia. We were lucky enough to get to have our first scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef. Upon returning home I just had to have a "piece of the reef" where I could see it every day. I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a similar love of the sea, so we've created a section here for you all to share your stories and questions.

Assuming there's interest, we might even end up with an annual ARC dive trip. Let me know what you think, and remember, pictures of your dives are greatly appreciated!

I am a Caribbean junkie. I have been to Jamaica 3 times, Cayman Islands, Puerto Rico and Cozumel 7 times. The last 2 years we have went to Cozumel 3 times for a total of 20 days. We already have another trip booked for august. People always ask why I don't try other places but every time I do, I regret not going to Cozumel. It is safe, very easy to get around the whole island, AWESOME snorkeling right off the beach, only a 2.5 hour flight, and it is really cheap to go in comparison to other places. Plus, it is a pretty small island and i already know my way around really well. I am a die hard snorkeler. The ONLY reason we don't dive is because I have a 8 and a 10 year old and include them in every trip we take. They love to snorkel with me and it is an awesome experience to share with them. I have a ton of cool pictures and I will start another thread for some when I have time.

Edited by wesreyn
  • Like 3

We went to Grand Cayman for our honeymoon at the end of October. It was the first time either of us have snorkeled and it was awesome! We only went one day because the water was too rough the other days we were there. We definitely want to do it again, hopefully in the later part of 2013. We saw a ton of different creatures and coral.

These are pictures that we got on a cd that our tour guide took while on the excursion.

post-2963-0-30593500-1356029828_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-52577000-1356029964_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-56889400-1356030094_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-69006500-1356030177_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-82776300-1356030241_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-84455200-1356030300_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-68628800-1356030338_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-18209400-1356030515_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-78837300-1356030586_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-96453000-1356030685_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-94285700-1356030746_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-91317500-1356030830_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-87867500-1356030894_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Cozumel is amazing. You can snorkel in many places and it's nearly as good as diving. Drift diving, wall diving, wreck, cave, ... it has everything.

It really is. I have gone on many paid "snorkel excursions" but have found some hidden gem snorkel spots right off the shoreline that rival any excursion. If anyone ever goes, ask me and I can tell you a really cool spot you can drive to.

ARC Trip!

I'm definitely down for that one. Depending on time of year, two people can go from dallas for 5 days with airfare and nice all inclusive resort for around $1300 total. You couldn't fly and stay in Florida for that. We went last summer for 11 days and 4 people for $3200. That was at a 4 star resort too.

We also did a cenote over on the mainland by playa, part of the Nohoch Nah Chich cave system. You couldn't see in the water because there was a lot of dust floating on it. Basically just a completely still pool in a cave. Jump in and you can easily see 500 feet down and into the cavern. That sent more than one person scrambling out of the water for a minute. Highly recommend it. Just swimming in them is a lot of fun. Indescribable feeling when you realize how big and deep of a pool you just jumped into that looked about the size of a small swimming pool.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received this email:

cozumel-header.jpg

This is a quick reminder that our Cozumel Spring Break trip is just around the corner. After January 8 the airfare and the price of the trip will go up. If you were planning on joining this adventure but just haven't gotten around to signing up then now is the time to contact Travel Masters or Scubaland to secure your spot!

cozumel-diver.jpgQuick Facts

• Destination: Cozumel
  • Operator: Hotel Cozumel and Resort
  • Dates: March 9 - March 13
  • Price: from $1,395 per person based on double occ.
  • Airfare: from Austin is included.
  • Trip Leader: Robert Aschermann

Team-Scubaland.jpg

That is very pricey, especially for the hotel that is included. Unless it includes your dives in the rates. My wife and I went for 5 days to a 4 star all inclusive resort for a total of $1400. I don't think the hotel Cozumel is even all inclusive. If your dates are flexible, definitely check Expedia or Travelocity.

That is very pricey, especially for the hotel that is included. Unless it includes your dives in the rates. My wife and I went for 5 days to a 4 star all inclusive resort for a total of $1400. I don't think the hotel Cozumel is even all inclusive. If your dates are flexible, definitely check Expedia or Travelocity.

Yes, it includes multiple dives with air and weights.

• 11 months later...

This is making me dribble.gifI have been certified for a long time but have not been is about 17 years. my daughter was saying yesterday that we should go, So I checked the a place in Austin for her to get certified and maybe a refresher course for me. Any suggestions about the better stores in the area for instruction and such?

This is making me dribble.gifI have been certified for a long time but have not been is about 17 years. my daughter was saying yesterday that we should go, So I checked the a place in Austin for her to get certified and maybe a refresher course for me. Any suggestions about the better stores in the area for instruction and such?

I did my refresher at Dive World, my wife got certified at Scubaland and we've done a ton of classes at Scubaland. We really like Scubaland. They do their winter diving in Reveille Peak Ranch.

If you're by Stillhouse Hollow Lake, you can use Scuba Divers Paradise. They're SSI but good people.