Lost flame scallop

subsea

post-766-134990192027_thumb.jpg

I purchased two flame scallops six months ago, on the same shipment as Sea Apple. After the first month, I stopped seeing them, each in a separate system. Two weeks ago, I found the one in 135G lagoon tank, he has since disappeared again. I just did barely see the second prodigal child. He is located in the interior of large conque shell. With my camera skills, you may not see it. There is a peep hole slit on this rock, looking straight at the camera.

The reason flame scallops are not recommended to buy is because their life span in the aquarium averages 6-8 months. I've read in the past the reason for the quick demise is because they only live up to 5 years and are typically caught around years 3 and 4 for aquarium trade. So they could have died. Worms are known to kill them as well.

The one person I've known that has kept one for over a year said that they often bury themselves in the sand or nudge themselves in between LR pieces. So that could be as well. I would imagine they have to have access to some sort of current to filter feed so they can't stay hidden 6 months like that though.

Here an article I found:

http://www.advanceda.../2002/7/inverts

In my early days, I kept some for 2 years in a 55G tank with only an under gravel filter with air uplift tubes.

Because all of my tanks are high nutrient, they seem to fair well. On one of the wild harvested rocks from offshore Tampa Bay a fresh scallop shell with no meat inside indicated a predator in the tank. As I inspected and pruned the rock, I felt something move that was not me. One Mantis Shrimp to be trapped. Perhaps Sea Robin needs to have an intervention.

post-766-134999010454_thumb.jpg

Prodigal Flame returns home. I can see the Flame Scallop quite clearly inside the large conch shell. Sorry, I do not have that skill. In Picture Taking for Dummies, it recommended iPad.

I have learned to leave them where they choose. It makes for happy tank mates.

Patrick

post-766-134990192027_thumb.jpg

I purchased two flame scallops six months ago, on the same shipment as Sea Apple. After the first month, I stopped seeing them, each in a separate system. Two weeks ago, I found the one in 135G lagoon tank, he has since disappeared again. I just did barely see the second prodigal child. He is located in the interior of large conque shell. With my camera skills, you may not see it. There is a peep hole slit on this rock, looking straight at the camera.

what is that on the rock to the right of the feather duster. i have one that came out of nowhere. well actually i think it came from a rock that i bought with some mushrooms. to me mine looks like a baby anemone with little tiny nubs for tentacles. but it looks like what u have there.

Next to side of tank, is juvenile emerging Waving Hand Anthenia, not a feather duster. I am going back to remedial camera training. The next item is a type of feather duster. The next item is a very small bleached RBTA. I got him 6 months ago and he has not done well. In fact the small feater was in the same depression and RBTA moved offer. When he was large at $100, he roamed all over. To my grief, he sat on my gift from KimP. An attractive Green Leather was bleached out, more importantly, a live gift in trust is to be respected. Six months later, it is a gorgeous green. During this same period, I received a green leather from a friend in Hawaii. It displayed the same insanely green color. Two weeks ago, about the same time that Xenia died. Please, who kills Xenia. Twice, no less. My gift from Gerald had died. It lays in back of tank and looked putrid. With to many irons in fire, it staid two days. The delicate colors that I see today are gorgeous. On a recent post, a discussion about producing brilliant colors after stressing it with heat, nutriant depravation, add chemical warfare to the list of stress. In this respect, my livestock selection on this tank is lacking stewardship. I have gorgeous Green Sinularia that are closely related to leathers.

This rock is old Fuji rock that has been in different mature systems for 15 years. Stuff pops up all the time. Similiar to a land ecosystem g g.sthat goes thru a progression of cycles where different species dominate. Eventually you have a climax forest, which we know as old tank syndrome. I'll clean glass and see if camera for dummies helps.

Archived