40 gallon breeder with 29 gallon sump

HaysStanford

So to continue, explain the tray system that you're thinking about? Let me preface it by saying that superficially, I think you'll be able to achieve your goals without it, but you might convince me otherwise.

So I'm going to make a case as to why I think this is not the best idea for a marine tank. You can achieve the same thing using much safer and cheaper methods. Most people with overflows use filter socks right off of their sump intake. The reason for that is that they are very easy to change out and clean. 2 filter socks is going to be much cheaper than building that tower, and has an exceptionally small chance of failure. I can think of numerous failure points in that tower which could lead to a huge mess. These socks are going to take up much less space and provide sufficient mechanical filtration.

As for the biological component, you are not going to need the bioballs in your system. The live rock, substrate and DSB (if you choose that method) will provide ample biological filtration. This trickle filter also has a huge space premium both vertically and horizontally in the sump. You have to move the tower out of the sump to clean the bottom filters, which is a pain. If you intend to run a protein skimmer or any other in-sump device, most of the space will be consumed by this filter.

Additionally, having a non-sealed drip filter like that is going to give you salt creep all over the inside of your stand.

If it were me, I'd just go with a simple sump that you can fill as you choose.

• 3 months later...

So the tank has been up and running for a few weeks now! There were a few leaks in the beginning, but all have been fixed and havent leaked since. My original plans had some flaws, and so I had to workaround a few things, including a small crack between bulkheads I created due to my own impulsive decision to tighten the threaded pvc pipe into an already tightened bulkhead (which just kept tightening the bulkhead more). Since there had to be some extra tension to insert the pvc pipe it caused some uneven pressure on the glass and it cracked... It was a pretty simple fix though, all I did was put some silicone over it and it hasnt leaked at all. Here is a list of gear and livestock I have in my system, as well as some pictures.

EQUIPMENT

• Precision Marine R30 Sump
  • Coralife Super Skimmer 65
  • JBJ A.T.O.
  • Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 3
  • Nova Extreme Pro T5HO with the 3 actinic and 3 10k bulbs that were included
  • 1 Vortech MP10 without the wireless driver
  • 1 Hydor Koralia Evolution 600 GPH powerhead

LIVESTOCK

• 2 Percula Clownfish
  • 1 Coral Beauty Dwarf Angelfish
  • 2 Tricolor Ricordea Mushrooms