DSB FORUM

subsea

Hays, with respect to using a phytoplankton reactor, read the link that I posted on vegetable filters. Toward the end of one of Anthony Calfoe articles , he discusses a type of phytoplankton source coming from a separate microcosom on the leaf surfaces. In my quest to maximize system production, I produced green water in a 700 G system that used half of two car garage in combination with a 150G DT

I increased mechical infiltration and provided robust circulation. Two days later, everything was immaculate. These natural system provide a type of phytoplankton which is the building block for the bottom of the food chain.

Patrick

WOW! all this information is incredibly interesting! After reading all this I have definitively been converted to using your suggestions. Forget the plankton reactor, I'll just use a large refugium with some chaetomorpha and the flow pattern described. Also, I am definitively going to use the Jaubert Plenum method. My only question would be is having organisms that sift through the sand bed (like a conch or sifting star) detrimental to the bacteria in the sand since it seems like it would oxygenate the sand?

I just thought of one more question. Do you think setting up the plenum to be like a undergravel filter would suck more nutrients through the sand than just the negative and positive charges alone while also allowing for there to still be low enough oxygen levels for the anaerobic heterotrophs to produce larger amounts of nitrogen gas rather than ammonium?

WOW! all this information is incredibly interesting! After reading all this I have definitively been converted to using your suggestions. Forget the plankton reactor, I'll just use a large refugium with some chaetomorpha and the flow pattern described. Also, I am definitively going to use the Jaubert Plenum method. My only question would be is having organisms that sift through the sand bed (like a conch or sifting star) detrimental to the bacteria in the sand since it seems like it would oxygenate the sand?

No on being detrimental to bacteria populations. Let us be clear with respect to critters in the sandbed. If you are using a Jaubert Plenumn with coarse grade aroggonite, a cucumber will not survive with this abrasive substrate. Bactria alone drive this system. At the surface Cerith Snails, amphipods, and brisstle worms. maintain sand bed cleanliness.. Add mini stars as well as serpent and brittle stars to round out the all star clean up crew for a Jaubert sandbed.m

Tomorrow, I will post link to Chuck's Addiction. IMO, it is the best step by step procedure for setting up a Dr Ron DSB.

I just thought of one more question. Do you think setting up the plenum to be like a undergravel filter would suck more nutrients through the sand than just the negative and positive charges alone while also allowing for there to still be low enough oxygen levels for the anaerobic heterotrophs to produce larger amounts of nitrogen gas rather than ammonium?

Hays,

I would speculate that using air uplift to supercharge the flow thru Plenumn would be very counter productive. In my experience, overdriving natural systems does not work well.

Patrick

Hays,

I would speculate that using air uplift to supercharge the flow thru Plenumn would be very counter productive. In my experience, overdriving natural systems does not work well.

Patrick

In this case, I would ask you, who monitors the decreasing oxygen rate and determines when flow thru plenum prevents prevents reducing oxygen environment.

Archived