Female wont eat

Chase21

I bought a couple of hippocampus erectus sea horses im pretty sure the male seems to be doing great eatting all the time eatting frozen foods and copepods ,but the female doesnt touch the frozen food and i havent really seen her suck up any pods either. i have tried adding garlc extract to their food which the male loves but the female still does even show curiousity towards the food. Anyone had this problem before any suggestions?

ps.both were wild caught from lfs in houston and i picked them up on the way back to austin

Giving her live foods and training onto frozen is the only option I know of, as long as she's in good health. Go to seahorse.org to the forums, and there's an entire section for wild caught seahorses and their care. It's a great resource! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I got some ghost shrimp when the store was out of live brine, but they are too big for my horses. Don't get me wrong, they immediately took off after them, but were only able to nip them. Let me know how the breeding goes, I would definitely buy some off of you. I've got mine eating live brine. I'm gonna try to train them to frozen, but I'm not sure how they will take to it.

Thanks for the info! Oh and post some pictures of your horses :)

My horses are large hippocampus erectus I have tried to switch them to frozen but only the male will eat the frozen and only some times. Mine eat ghost shrimp whole and I'm surprised they can actually eat something that big. And if the breeding goes well Ill deffinetly keep you updated!

Archived