Pregnant Seahorse

Niko's Reef

Has anyone every dealt with having fry from Kudas? My male seahorse stomach looks way different. It looks hard, and is really poked out. 100% healthy, so that's the only thing I can think of. Looks like the pic I googled for pregnant Kuda.

Awesome! I've only dealt with erectus fry. If he's not having any buoyancy issues, he probably is pregnant which is a great sign of a healthy herd :) way to go!

Have you looked up the gestation for kuda? It's only 2 weeks for erectus. Fast! Of course it may be totally different, but the erectus males deliver at first light, so it makes it easier to catch them just prior to giving birth. You'll probably want the fry out of your tank whether you try to raise them or not.

Kim, thanks for the response. That's what I've been wondering. I haven't looked it up yet. Was just starting the research process. Need to spend a good amount of time on Seahorse.Org. I've googled it for pics on how the male looks in pregnancy, and some info on how to care for the fry. Not sure I'm ready for this. Everything I read, seems like it's a pain and most of the time the fry don't make it. Also read that a lot of time the males can die from carrying dead fry in their pouch. Seems like I need to add a sponge filter to catch the fry, and another tank for once the fry is hatched. Not sure how along the pregnancy is. I've been working a lot of OT, so haven't paid as much attention until last night. I guess 1 other thing that it could be is gas in his stomach. From the pics however, it looks like he is carrying. Doesn't seem to be in any pain.

If he's not having any buoyancy issues and only his pouch is bigger, not his tail at all, and eating well, I would think he's pregnant. Raising fry, even the easiest fry, is a huge time-suck.

Thanks for everything Kim. Nothing I read suggest it will be easy, and your input confirms that for me. The tail is normal, so im pretty sure he is carrying. Says in the Kuda it takes 4-5 weeks for them to conceive, so looks like I got time to study.

I've been wanting to purchase some kuda's and waiting for my other bills to stop rolling in. 'course, the bills don't stop coming, so I still don't have seahorses. I'd be willing to help raise some fry if you want some help.

Sounds good Teresa, except for the bills part. I hate those. The Kuda's are pretty amazing. I love their coloring. Constantly changing. I've been looking at buying another tank in order to raise the fry, and in part because I want another 1. Don't know how all that will turn out, because my bills won't stop rolling in either. I'll defintely keep you in mind.

Archived