Cheap tricks

FarmerTy

Thanks Dave, My cupcakes can turn people diabetic. I'm at the point where I need to suppliment but still need to research and figure out whats best for me. I've been using pickling lime in the ATO approach for a while but looking for a better way to ensure I don't kill anything and can boost growth.

Im fixing to build a kalk reactor and use pickling lime. My dkh is low and hard to maintain even with water changes so I need the extra boost along with the Ca. Just need to find some 4" acrylic locally.

Regal plastics...very reasonable prices, $25 minimum

+1

Has anyone tried pantyhose as filter socks? I have not, however a friend of mine runs a pond maintenance business and says he uses them. Any reason not to?

I use them all the time. Lot easier just to throw it away than rinsing carbon or GFO out of a filter bag to reuse it.

• 5 weeks later...

For cutting stoney corals off rock. Carbide masonry blade for hacksaw, it can be bent to work in tight areas in aquariums. DO NOT USE THIS ON SOFT BODIED INVERTS/POLYPS

post-1247-0-90349900-1335835272_thumb.jp

Adding:

-Bayer Advanced Total Insect Killer - tried and tested. Works great as coral dip.

-paint shield - best glass algae scraper ever for $3! Works perfect with an aqua glove. Perfectly clean glass without getting your entire arm wet.

http://www.homedepot...d&storeId=10051

Can you tell me more about the insect killer as a coral dip? Have YOU tried it? What dillution?

I've used the cheap $.50 leggings you find on the women's hosiery isle for awhile. Come two to a bubble pack and can be loaded as needed, tied off twice with two knots. Then cut in between the knots and the next is ready later. They don't leave fibers floating everywhere!

I also saved all the extra baby medication syringes for dosing/filing test vials.

Bamboo skewers for temp hold downs and props when mounting corals. I glued two end to end (cut at angle) for a thin tool to get into small areas and keep my hands dry.

I reuse the kids jello cups for salt measuring cups, thawing frozen foods and holding dishes for frags. 1/2 cup measuring at the ready.

When acclimating several species at the same time on a drip, I use a plastic air manifold to drip into different holding containers. Let's me control the flow on each.

Laser pointer!

An unraveled plastic loufa washing scrubber is a great netting for holding softies until they mount to crushed coral. Just cut the center tie holding everything together and cut to length. Not as fine as toile, but let's the water flow better.

I use small plastic harbor freight clamps for holding power heads in places and when mixing small buckets of new water.

• Like 2

"Can you tell me more about the insect killer as a coral dip? Have YOU tried it? What dillution?"

Duncan7 - check out the link here. I've used it personally, but only on SPS. I have not tried it on other types of coral. I just take about a cup of saltwater from my tank, drop about 2-3 ml of the insect killer in it, mix up the water really well, then put my coral in it for about 5-10 mins, then pull it out and dunk it in another cup of saltwater from my tank, wait another couple of minutes and then put it back in my tank.

http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965880

For red bugs themselves in the tank, interceptor is the best trick once they are in your tank. The dipping helps to not ever introduce that into your main tank and have that problem.

• 2 months later...

After picking up pieces of iron with my magfloat and scratch acrylic I started using velcro for my mag float. I prefer to use the green as it shows both white sand and black iron well (there's a surprising amount in sand hmm.png , you can see the ring that has built up on the old velcro where the magnets are) The original pad can be hard to remove and I usually have to use a pair of pliers. Spray adhesive works well and usually outlast the velcro. After experimenting a little I now leave the pad hanging out the sides, it often will catch sand and iron before it gets between the pad and acrylic/glass and being thicker it takes a larger particle to actually do damage. I use the stiffer "hook" side on the inside and the softer "loop" side on the outside.

The disadvantages of using the velcro is it is thicker than the original pads so there is some loss of performance with the magnets slightly farther apart. Over time there is a hazing that develops on acrylic but it's not noticable from the front, it can only be seen when looking obliquely from the top or sides. I figure it's not any worse than what happens with the original pad and there is less chance of scratches that are more noticable. The velcro has about 1/16" margin that I overlap to avoid adhesive getting squezzed out. The adhesive will come off acrylic/glass with a little rubing but it's a hassle.

post-1247-0-94548400-1341590413_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Instead of buying a veggie clip for $3-5, I use a piece of live rock rubble to attach my Nori. Drill a hole through the rock and attach fishing line for easy removal and placement.

Reef plugs cost 6.99 for a pack of 20 + s/h. For the same price or less you can get 3 pounds of live rock rubble and a tube of super glue gel. It looks more natural than coral plugs and they are easier to place into an existing reef tank.

Dosing pumps cost 100-400 + 23.99 for the dosing container. You can save hundreds by using a timer, a cheap air pump and a vinegar bottle.

For hanging your lights, a ceiling fan kit works great for 20 bucks.

PVP pipe works great for stabilizing your live rock structures. If you want to save a few bucks, you can use a hack saw to make the bottom of your large pieces flat. You then epoxy rock pieces together to create large structures that won't fall or topple over. Just be sure you don't make them too big, incase you have to remove them for maintenance.

Edited by Sascha D.