This is what I am shooting for.

Michae52

I received some new and different red macro's yesterday. I am expecting more tomorrow. The question that I have is that last night the new red plants under the actinic lights appeared to have a soft amber and maroon glow which is an indicator of growth. Is that the same as what happens with the ogo that Patrick has? Also, the green algaes appear to have decent growth. White extentions occur during the day followed up with the green chlorophyll filling in the new cells at night.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received some new and different red macro's yesterday. I am expecting more tomorrow. The question that I have is that last night the new red plants under the actinic lights appeared to have a soft amber and maroon glow which is an indicator of growth. Is that the same as what happens with the ogo that Patrick has? Also, the green algaes appear to have decent growth. White extentions occure during the day followed up with the green chlorophyll filling in the new cells at night.

The Red Ogo when left under subdued PAR, which includes actinic, will be dark burgandy or maroon. This is an indicator of slow growth. Under high PAR, the Red Gracilarias will be yellow orange everwhere but on the tips which will have a translucant clear color during photo period. Another Red Gracilaria that is decorator display tank quality is G. Hayi.

http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookgrachayi.htm

This link has a reference guide for the ID and care of macros from a hands on point of view.

Patrick

Well, I received a nice bag of Macro's from Frag and More this morning. In fact I received so much that I was able to place quite alot of Feather Caulerpa along the back glass of the tank. Once it takes off it should only take a few days for it to be covered. I also received a clump of red grape caulerpa as well, with some red gracilaria which was mixed in. As of today I have ten different species of macro's which is starting to provide the color and texture which I am looking for. I think a few more featherdusters, a few clams, also a patch of Red Star polyps if I can find it and maybe a little more sponge. If I get brave some nps corals. Then it will be time for the tank to grow out. Hopefully, I will be able to take advantage of the sale at RCA and stock the tank with the gobies that I would like to have. I think that an assortment of 10-12 would be fine. They would add the extra color and movement without pushing the bio-load too much.

Left Side

post-2202-0-88426800-1331326179_thumb.jp

Right Side

post-2202-0-08738300-1331326224_thumb.jp

Michael,

You are looking good, brother. I look forward to seeing your tank next week when I go up north for the ARC March Meeting. The 10G lagoon tanks are also coming along nicely and I will get some more ideas when I see yours. For me, this is turning out to be more fun then I could have imagined.

La bonne temps roulee.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

For the past couple of weeks I have just been watching the marco algaes grow and trying to fiqure out exactly where I am going with this. At the present time I have nine different types algaes that are growing in the tank, providing the color and textures which I am looking for. The color is really starting to show and the natural blending of the algaes and live rock is starting to give me more direction to the form that I want to take with this tank. Today, I purchased a couple of Bangai Cardinalfish and placed them in their new home. I have noticed them before in the LFS but never thought of acquiring any. As I was admiring them, I noticed how perfect they fit in with the design and proportions of the tank. I do not know anything about Bangai's and later discovered that there natural enviroment is very similiar to what I am designing. They like to live in shallow and calm waters with an abundance of algaes and invertibrates. The younger fish use the long spine urchin to hide in when danger approaches. I saw some very nice specimens at RCA today, but I do not know how much they would tear up the aquascaping of the tank. After reading several articles about the Bangais I think that I will get more and maybe try to raise them. They are mouth brooders like chilids and maybe I can have alittle luck in this endeavour. If anyone has or has had Bangais any useful information would be appreciated.

post-2202-0-58937200-1332379471_thumb.jp

It's filling in very nicely. Those cardinals do look great in there. Have you had any trouble keeping the macros in place? How are you attaching them? Also, are you having any trouble with nuisance algae?

Great picture! Looking sweet. I like the fern caulerpa, it is a pretty macro. I have it coming up in a few spots in my tank but they are very tiny, 1/4 - 1/2" at most.

Actually no trouble with nuisance algaes. I even dose with Kent Iron every other day. I had some hair algae come in on some macros, but they cannot compete with the macro's and have vanished. I have place small pieces of live rock on the runners and they are attaching themselves. And then you can always use the rubberband trick.

No, I never did end up with any. I considered it and they were highly recommended by many. I ended up with a tailspot blenny, neon goby, and green mandarin instead, and of course the seahorses. I'm slowly working out the details of converting my 47gal to a lagoon type tank and moving a lot of the coral to 2 additional tanks I have added recently. Just working on getting the new tanks settled and ready. Anyway I'm sure I'll be full of more questions soon! I love the way your tank is looking! Keep on posting updates please :)

I have place small pieces of live rock on the runners and they are attaching themselves.

Same here. Caulerpa has runners and is 'rooting' into the substrate of the sand bed. Noticed that tonight when I was digging out that stupid crab. My tank hasn't been set up long at all and the caulerpa had extended at least 6" of length and 2" depth into the sand in one spot. (Bed is 2" deep so it can't go any deeper.)

Does it take well to sculpting? I'm thinking a caulerpa topiary. :P just kidding....

Grog I am letting the caulerpa go wild in the back because I want it to cover the back wall. You need to be careful that it does not take over your tank. Caulerpa is considered invasive so keep an eye on it. It is better to trim a little at a time as well. By the way my substrate is only 1inch of argonite, but it is working.

Well, part of the green feather caulerpa went sexual last night. Must have had a hell of a party because the tank is pretty cloudy this morning. I removed the dead leaves and hooked up a protein skimmer ' super wet ' to remove as much of the organics as I can. As soon as the water clears up I will do a 15% water change. I am cheating by using the skimmer, but why take the chance of trashing out the tank when I really do not have too.

Feather caulerpa does that every once in awhile. Actually, I knew that it was going to happen yesterday, I was just waiting until today to harvest some. If you look at the photo that I posted last night you will see leaves in the far upper left of the photo that are clear. That is a sign that it's going sexual. If the tips are white that is just growth. The fish and everything are doing fine I had a .50 spike in the Ammonia which will go down pretty quickly. What is going to be interesting is that as soon as the NH3/NH4 is converted to NO3 I should get explosive growth. I just did a NO3 test and it read around 0. That might be a factor in the caulerpa going sexual. Not enough food? I have a very light bio-load so any NO3 and PO4 is probably being used up quickly.

That crises was over rather quickly. The water is cleared up and the NH3/NH4 is way down. The other algaes have taken over the cleaning of the water, but just to be on the safe side I will run the skimmer until tomorrow morning. Ended up not doing a water change. Will replace about a gal of saltwater to replace the water that was loss due to the skimmer being very over active at first. Everything worked as it have should. I can assume that the algae went sexual due to the lack of nutritents in the water. No NO3 and very little PO4, plenty of FE and K2O. I have been hesitate to put more livestock in the tank wanting to make sure that the algaes,live rock,and filter feeders could keep up with the waste that was produced. Now I have to start loading the tank up to find that balance between the bio-load and the tank's capacity to consume that load. I might even have to feed the tank NO3 and PO4, now that would be a twist for those that maintain a reef tank.

Michael,

Your tank is looking great. Quite a lot of biodiversity. We are going to need to have a "friendship garden party" to spread out this biodiversity. I'll bring the Red Ogo Cheviche.

Archived