Ideas for raising my skimmer in the sump

Austinvines

So I took advantage of the ER skimmer sale on marine depot and bought the cs-80 for my 75g. The sump that Ace made me has the water level at 13.75" and the ER needs between 7-9" IIRC. I looked around my house for something that would work in a pinch but the footprint with the gate valve mod is probably more than 10"x10" and the pump and bottom of the skimmer need to be on the same plane.

Do you know of anyone in town who could fabricate a 4-5" acrylic stand or can you think of something else that would work instead? Is this something that is fairly easily DIY'd? I have no experience with acrylic or plexiglass (except for 7th grade shop :) ) but so long as I don't need to buy tons of single task tools, I'm willing to learn.

Thanks

Dylan

I went to Home Depot and bought four 4 inch couplings in the plumbing dept and then went to the lighting dept and bought some egg crate grating. Cut the egg crate to fit into the sump and used the couplings as risers. I can post a pic if confused.

Clint

All I did when I needed to raise a skimmer was to go to Home Depot and picked up a drain cover for landscape drainage and just set the skimmer on that as a platform. It raised the skimmer level about 4 inches.

Joe

The first thought that sprang to my mind was "Lego!" Seems like they would be okay for an aquarium, although I haven't tested that yet. Lego is another passion of mine and it would tickle my little heart to have just a touch of Lego somewhere in my tank system.

Remember, I've never laid any claim to anything resembling conventionality or even sanity. :)

ej

ej's grandson has mostly the toddler versions of Lego and MegaBloks, but ej has a toy chest of her own. If I separate out all the regular rectangular pieces and put the blue ones in a Lego bucket, the lid *almost* fits into place. I have no idea how many blocks I have, but it must be 10s of 1000s, at least.

I'd be happy to donate a few if they were going to a good home. They are always coming out with sets that I just *have to* get, so there are plenty to go around. :)

ej

What a lot of great ideas. I just inverted a pyrex and corningware ceramic casserole and it is working ok. I think a trip to HD is in order. My kiddos will not allow the pilfering of their lego blocks just yet :) Thank you for the offer of help Robert. I will take you up on it if I crap out on the other ideas.

Have a great Fourth