Turbelle Stream 6105-TUNZE!

Mike M.

I have used this pump for a little over a year. It just came off the tank and was working perfectly and quietly prior to removal. I am steam lining my setup and my Vortech MP60 is adequate with only one of my two 6105's on the tank. I'd like to move it out so I have less wires and junk on my system and less stuff hanging around my garage. $195

This pump is excellent in a 4 foot wide tank. Controls back with an Apex controller to work super in any size tank. I have the Apes cable that I can sell for another $15 if you want the cable also.

2011-06-26085312.jpg

Edited by Mike M.

Mike I have one MP40, generation 2 I believe, that I just bought used. It's connected to my tank and it's noisy. It's not the rattling noise that means you need to adust the wet side, it's the motor within the dry side running, speeding up, etc.

I'm curious, since you have both, is your MP60 also audible enough to easily hear when within a few few of the tank? (I realize quiet, loud, etc can be a relative statement). I might have just gotten a loud one since I've read Mark Callahan even say it was very quiet. I'm debating to go tunze or get another MP40. Does the Apex have the Tunze modes similar to the MP's modes?? I rather like all the modes. But at the same time, the noise on mine is a bit more than I prefer and I believe the Tunze is quieter.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan,

bottom line is that they both make noise, they just make different noises.

The Tunzes are extremely quiet if not run on a variable speed program. They are extremely quiet if you don't have a big hood to act like a resonance chamber.

Now, if you have them run from 30%-100%, they drone and under a hood, at least in my case, they drone loudly.

You are right, the Vortech product makes that "grindy" racket when it is on reef crest, or tidal, or pulse modes etc. That's why I bought an MP60...I run it no faster than 60% and it is relatively quiet.

My Tunzes run off the Apex controller and they have a nice interface. It isn't as fancy as the Vortech modes on the WXM module, but they control nicely off the Apex controller nonetheless. I think you would do well in moving to the Tunzes if noise is a big problem for you like it is for me and you don't want to pony up for an MP60.

They are both excellent products and the MP40 is nice if it isn't run full bore, just like my MP60. During TV time, my MP60 runs at 10% and my Tunze(one now) runs at 30-50% and I can't hear either of them.

During the day, my Tunze runs 50-70% and I can hear it droning under the hood. Conversely, I can hear the MP60 "grinding" away also. For me the ability to control them and program for having the higher output noisier times when I am asleep or away and then it goes into "quiet" mode when I am home here on the couch.

I think you would do fine adding a 6105 to your tank and dialing the MP40 way back. That would be best of both worlds.

Thanks Mike. I'll have to think about this all. The more I read about them both I see people are equally happy with either pump. I think I need to hear another MP40 or 60 to see if mine is making the noise that's expected, I do have it at less than 100% probably less than 80%. Meanwhile a hood might be in my future as well.

I appreciate your time and thoughts.

I have been questioned about the term "grindy" with regard to the MP60. Maybe the word should have been "whiney". You can hear it ramp up and down when on the modes that vary the speed of the pump dramtically. Both of these pumps, Vortech and Tunze, are extremely quiet when operated on an single speed setting and not at 100%. If you need silent, you will need to forget the variable speed modes for either pump as they both make noise. Sorry folks, there is no silver bullet for this one. It is why I use the various profiles with my APex unit to ensure I get silent operation when I need it and then variable modes when I am not home to hear it.

Understood. I think mine rather whines too. I can hear it sometimes from several feet away and I have it dialed down. I think I'll go listen to Callahan's one day just to make sure it's not my particular one. My hopes are that I can get a 2nd one and the Apex module to control them. If not, I'll start over on pumps and investigate the 6105.