Dead Fish in Live Rock

Eric Alvarado

I soak myfood in garlic xtreme, but I wonder if I'm doing it wrong. I take a chunk of frozen home made food and put it in a glass of tank water to defrost. I put a couple of dropsnot the garlic in the glass while it's defrosting, then when it's all broke up (usually a couple of minutes) I use a turkey Baster to feed with. You see anything wrong with how I do it?

I usually put it in small cup, put in some tank water to cover the food, add 3 drops of garlic, and 3 drops of Zoe and then I let it sit overnight or until the end of the day.

I'd be worried about evaporation or fatty acids spoiling from temperature to wait that long.. but that's just my paranoia kicking in.

Not sure that this applies to homemade food - but it might help someone else out:

I used to just let my frozen mysids thaw in a cup and then pour the entire contents into the tank. I ran into a lot of problems with cyno and someone informed me that I should be rinsing my shrimp first. Now I run them through a sieve after thawing (5 min), place them in dechlorinated tap water, add a few drops of garlic, wait a few minutes and add this entire mixture to my tank (pumps off, anything that falls to the sand is found by my zebra eel or miscellaneous scavengers). The cyno hasn't gone completely away, but it has definitely decreased by a large amount.

Guess I went overkill, 50 blue legs in a 40g tank....and I ditched the turbos, those punks ruined a bunch of my frags by knocking them over into the sand and what not. I had a blue chomis die, and my brittle star ate him hours after he died and it was wedged in between 2 rocks. As long as he doent much on any softies, he can stick around...

Archived