In need of lighting suggestions!

Daisy82

Our lights are on their way out and I need to replace them as soon as possible - the corals are not happy!

We currently have a 36" 4 bulb T5 Tek Light fixture that has been attached to the canopy. Just fish and soft corals (mushrooms, frogspawn, hammerhead, zoas, GBTA, etc)

So some questions:

* should we get another fixture, or is a retrofit kit the way to go?

* is a splashguard a good idea? (always had salt buildup and water droplets on the underside of our current fixture, and the plastic parts where the bulbs go in are all cracked - kinda wondered if a splashguard would have prevented this)

* some retrofit kits say they have waterproof endcaps (and some don't specify) - is this a must?

* Would it be a good idea to get something with more bulbs (6 or 8) this go round?

* Are there certain brands or sites that are better than others? Have looked on Ebay and Amazon and there are looots of options....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Current USA makes some LEDs that are pretty awesome. I have 5 strips on my tank and they are amazing. Ask Mark Callahan, Mr Saltwater Tank, about them. He's the one that hooked me up.

The TEK fixture is not bad, but a splashguard is beneficial to them as I understand although it takes some of the oomph out of them. Another thing I've read is that a fan blowing down the lamps will help with the output of them(which is why other companies use them).

I guess the first question is, do you want to keep using T5?

If so...

If you want to replace it a DIY retrofit would probably be the cheapest way, since you have a canopy. I'd check with Reefgeek for supplies/advice.

If you want a new fixture, the ATI Sunpower would be hard to beat in terms of performance. The Powermodule would be a bit more expensive but is a little nicer. Reefgeek again.

If you want to do MH/T5 combo you can DIY or fixture that too. I'm not familiar with them so I'll let others comment here...

Planning on sticking with T5's. I've already tried CF's and I don't have a chiller or fans in my canopy so I figure MH's are out. Maybe a MH/T5 combo would be ok? I would consider LED's, but I don't know much about them. Would be interested to know the cost and what sort of color they give. Ultimately looking for something that is cost effective that doesn't produce too much heat.

Have not checked with any LFS because I figured they would be more expensive than getting something online.

Daisy, I'm confused. Is your fixture getting ready to blow (if so how do you know) or do you just need new bulbs? Or is this a (happy) excuse to upgrade? 4 bulbs seems a little light (no pun intended) for a 70, but I'm no expert.

well etannert, it's not the bulbs because they're less than a month old. The light has been on the fritz for the last month or so - turning on and off randomly, and when I lift the canopy lid.

I took the bulbs out and cleaned everything I could reach with a Q-tip and found that the plastic pieces that hold the bulbs (sorry - don't know the terminology) are all cracked in various places. These pieces are also not attached firmly and wobble back and forth - they look like they're ready to crumble. It's also very diffucult to remove the bulbs because of this.

I can't find anyone who just repairs lights, and I didn't pay a fortune for this one anyway so I figure the only option is to replace it. I am curious if I should up the number of bulbs.

Archived