Guppies...

Mindflux

So my wife and I got a couple of little guppies at the store on Saturday for my daughters FW tank. These were the 5th and 6th fish to enter the tank.

Last night one of them (Lothar) was hovering near where the HOB filter drops water back into the tank. It made me suspicious, but .. I'm no fish doctor.

This morning I found him sunk and dead in the tank. :( The other fish all seem fine and doing their normal activities and all my water parameters (according to Petco) are spot on. No ammonia, no elevated nitrate or nitrite. I thought maybe he was having O2 problems since he was hovering right where the water would aerate for the tank, but he didn't look like he was gasping for air or anything.

Are guppies hard to care for or did I just end up unlucky?

deifnatly add a bubble stone! it couldnt hurt! but petco and petmart fish arent the best! but if you give it a couple weeks you should have at least 20+ baby fry! and youll forget all about your loss!

deifnatly add a bubble stone! it couldnt hurt! but petco and petmart fish arent the best! but if you give it a couple weeks you should have at least 20+ baby fry! and youll forget all about your loss!

Yeah I know they aren't the best but they're close to me where other LFS aren't.

My Mollies and Danios from Petco are getting along just fine, darn guppies.

Now my month old zebra danio was found in the intake tube to my HOB filter :(

R.I.P "Stripey".. that's 3 fish in 2 days now if you count the other guppy I returned after it started acting funny (like it was going to die)

do you have a bubble stone?

and take some and dump in some stability from seachem if your looking to nsave your live stock

No bubble stone, this is a FW tank so there's no LR either.

• 2 months later...

I had a similar problem with my planted tank a few weeks ago. I had some REALLY nice (and expensive) show guppies and added some nice blue females from Aquatek and the ones from aquatek had something that wiped out all my guppies but my otto was completely fine. It must have been some kind of species specific virus or pathogenic bacteria. Best bet is to try adding some aquarium antibiotics or just emptying the tank and cooking everything and starting over.

Not sure about the danio, but guppies are just not the healthiest fish around IMHO...Until I started my saltwater tank I always had freshwater...i could keep anything alive and thriving...except the dang guppies. They would be fine for a while then one by one they would just die... Don't give up on fish....just maybe the guppy :D Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

You can try adding some aquarium salt, but without any symptoms aside from lethargy, it will be difficult to diagnose what the problem is. It could be bacterial, parasitic or viral (probably one of the first two, and if it's viral then there's pretty much nothing that can be done). Salt can help in the first two cases because it alters the osmotic pressure and makes life harder on bacteria and pathogens. Can't hurt.

Archived