Bacteria Dosing

Derek

Does anyone use bacteria dosing? I have been considering it but am not totally sold on the benefits or that it does anything at all. What have your experiences with bacteria dosing been?

You mean on an established tank?

I'm pretty sure that the nature of bacterial reproduction makes any form of dosing (of the bacteria) essentially moot. So long as the conditions in the aquarium allow them to survive and they are introduced (seeding with live rock, ammonia from decaying food, a bacterial starter, etc), they will be able to multiply and spread quickly and without anyone's help.

Carbon dosing and some others do rely on bacteria to make them work - they essentially support a larger number in the tank than would be present under normal conditions... they do reproduce and not at a slow rate... so dosing more bacteria should be entirely unnecessary.

I have mixed opinions on this. I am short on time, so I will only give an outline.

I think bacterial dosing alone without a carbon input is not necessary. In fact I don't think bacteria dosing is really necessary in an established tank, even if carbon dosing. If carbon dosing, the bacteria population will grow on its own to reach equilibrium.

Bacterial supplements in a bottle: Many of the chemist on RC say there is no way that bacteria can be suspended alive for a long period of time and that the products basically dont work. At least not after the first couple of doses.

Bacteria in the aquarium: I am focusing on the zeo method with zeoliths and the recent introduction of solid carbon dosing. Both methods provide a home for bacteria to grow and flourish. I think these systems work.

The basic chemistry of all of this is simple. The limiting factor for bacterial growth which will reduce phosphates and nitrates is carbon. By adding additional sources of carbon, you reduce the limiting factor and allow larger bacterial populations than could occur naturally, which are then able to convert more phosphates and nitrates.

There are some downsides. What happens when you stop dosing carbon, bacterial die off because the population cannot be maintained. Dosing liquid carbon sources (vinegar, vodka, sugar) seems to create red slime problems, solid carbon dosing doesn't seem to have this problem, possibly because the carbon is contained within the reactor.

Just some thoughts.

Oh Mark , now you gotta share when results are available. I think one needs to clarify the purpose of the bacteria as different strains will have different effect - just like any biological system. In regards to bacteria storage, most can survive in various temperatures (RT, +4C, -20C, -70C). They just go dormant when cooled.

I'm running some experiments with a microbiologist now and seeing some good results. Give me a ring Derek and we can talk.

So Jason, you are in fact, culturing bacteria with your zeoliths to create the "holy zeo mulm" to feed your corals. That is the heart of the zeo system. I'm pretty sure it is beneficial.

Mike, I agree. I think the zeo system bacteria provides a double benefit by cleaning the water and serving as a food source when the zeoliths are daily shaken and bacteria is released into the water column.

After reading Feldman's research on Advanced Aquarist I wouldn't bother. The control used in some of their tests showed similar (albeit slower) bacteria growth as the sample treated with vodka and when a dosing regime was used on a reef system there was negligible change in population counts. A couple of items I found interesting was new saltwater that's set for a day has huge amounts of bacteria (10X a tank with skimming) and the question brought up in the conclusion about the possible negative effects protein skimming might have.

Archived