RODI Water container

Mindflux

I picked up a 26 gallon Rubbermaid "RoughNeck" trash bin at Big Lots the other day, drilled my auto shutoff hole and stuck my shutoff in it and set up my whole RODI system.

I ran 5 gallons or so off and dumped it in the grass and then let the system fill to the shutoff. I drilled the shutoff kind of high on the can so I could get as much water as possible, but I didn't take into account the metal brackets holding the handles onto the can.

I'm pretty sure it's just aluminum, but I haven't tested it for any magnetism or anything. Does anyone see any problems with my RODI water covering up these brackets? The water can't go any higher as it is because it'll start to pour out the holes where the handles come through the bin. So it's really the perfect height as far as a water line with the exception of water touching metal.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc are welcome.

8399099.jpg (pic of similar can.. mine has no wheels)

I would be reluctant to let it touch any metal that you aren't 100% sure is safe. Copper and tin and zinc are really common metal alloys and are probably not something you want to introduce into the tank. I think that titanium and a few types of stainless are the only thing you want in contact with tank water.

Gotcha. I felt the same way after posting and went and got a different container.. got a steralite 35 gallon tote.

Now the question is should I start over making RODi or use what I have? the brackets barely touched the water surface, they weren't fully submerged or anything...

While we're on this subject:

How do you estimate water capacity of your water container? I mean, yeah it's 35 gallons (assumption that's to the brim) but I've got my float valve an inch or so below the brim so that it can function properly. The only reason I care is the first time I fill my tank I'm also going to use this container to do my salt mixing and I don't want to over salt, obviously.

Measures: 32.5''L x 19.75''W x 18.63''H

Tossing those numbers into a volume calculator claims that's 51 gallons, though. ....

While we're on this subject:

How do you estimate water capacity of your water container? I mean, yeah it's 35 gallons (assumption that's to the brim) but I've got my float valve an inch or so below the brim so that it can function properly. The only reason I care is the first time I fill my tank I'm also going to use this container to do my salt mixing and I don't want to over salt, obviously.

Measures: 32.5''L x 19.75''W x 18.63''H

Tossing those numbers into a volume calculator claims that's 51 gallons, though. ....

Just continually measure your salinity as you add salt. Start with what you know will be less than your target salinity and ease up on it.

That's kind of what I thought. Doesn't red sea coral pro require 24 hr mix? If so that'll be a long wait between adding salt and waiting for it to mix fully. (maybe not so much at smaller doses toward the end...)

What I did on a smaller container was fill up 5 gallon buckets and mark where each one fills to on the larger container. The add salt until it reads Ok works, but I like to have a somewhat accurate idea of how much I should add. You can do it next time the container is empty, just make sure to rinse with RO and dry so you aren't adding the nasty stuff that's in tap water to the tank.

Ether way it should only take a few try's to have an idea of how much to add.

Are your marks inside or outside? I'd be afraid marker or whatever would leach into the water or wear off. My container isn't opaque and I've also found 5 gallon buckets to not all be precisely 5 gallons.

Do I need to keep my RODI water aerated? Or will the aeration from a 12-24 hour salt mixing be enough to keep a good oxygen level in the water?

Also: My container isn't air tight, it's got a lid on it of course, but will that be a concern for it being in the garage? I don't know that debris could get in it easily but obviously I don't want to contaminate my water.

There are food grade container barrels for sale locally in Austin that are relatively cheap. They will seal air tight, so you don't have to worry about your water. They are on Craigslist.

If you don't mind the drive and want different sizes, look at this listing 2306059354 in Killeen on Craigslist. Or here is the ad -

Killeen area (254) 634-2011

55 gal BLUE storage barrels open top with lids = $25.00

55 gal WHITE water storage barrels = $20.00,

30 gal WHITE water storage barrels = $12.00,

15 gal WHITE water storage barrels = $10.00,

5-6 gal WHITE water storage barrels = $5.00,

6 gal WHITE food storage buckets with screw on locking lids = $ 5.00

6 gal WHITE food storage buckets with lids = $ 3.00

6 gal WHITE food storage buckets with out lids = $ 2.00

2 gal WHITE water container = $2.00

We give discounts on the barrels for purchasing in quantity. We also have 275+ gal Water Tote in metal housing for $90

waterbarrels.jpg

Archived