Elephant slugs aka duckbill limpet

Hydro

These things are super cool and I've had them in my tanks for years. Ok for me these are debatable whether they are reef safe or not but everywhere I read says they are. My suspicion is that if there is little food available that they will munch on sps as a last resort...but I'm sure their first choice is algae. My tank is still full of them and I'm not really worried about it as long as I can keep their numbers under control by getting rid of them. IF YOU COME GET THEM THEY ARE FREE!!!! This means that you have to pick them off the rocks in my QT tank. If I have to catch them, bag them, and deliver to town or ship them the prices are $2 small, $5 medium, and $10 large, $20 minimum. I have probably 30-40 available, mostly small. LMK

pm is best

post-1255-0-97891800-1303852878_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-07550300-1303852926_thumb.jp

What kind of algae will it eat? GHA?

I doubt they could tackle long GHA, whatever they eat would have to be really short. I wouldn't get any of these to help algae bad problems, I don't think they could consume enough algae in small numbers to even matter.

I don't believe the one I had years ago had any hair algae available to eat. Not sure what it was but he found something for about the year that I had him to fill him up.

Yeah, I can do that. Send me a number in case anything changes.

I might have time to swing by on Saturday if you'll be around.

I could only meet at around 5-6pm on Saturday if that works for you

• 2 years later...

Be really careful with some sps. They will eat my valida bases but won't touch anything else. All the validas recovered a few months after moving them to the sump.

Edit, didn't realize this was such an old thread...

• 6 years later...

Sorry, no idea.  They probably came in on some wild live rock and started to reproduce for Hydro.  Now that wild live rock is next to impossible to get I suspect you'll have to do a lot of searching on the forums to find someone who has them.  The limpets that come in on the Florida maricultured live rock has a couple species of limpets but they don't have mantle like the black ones Hydro had and are pretty cryptic looking.  They are great algae eaters though.