Maze Brain (platygyra)

KimP

Maze brain (platygyra) is listed in the seahorse tank mates guide as a 0. Meaning the horses won't hurt it, it won't hurt them, they'll do great in a tank made for horses, etc. Here is the guide: http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates/tankmates.shtml

Quote: "0 - represents close to zero risk. There is no competition for food. The fish are mostly benthic. There is not an issue with aggression. Corals would not have the ability to sting."

I am very interested in getting one of these and have been researching and looking at them for a couple months now. Just recently I have been hearing from much more experienced reefers that maze brains have sweepers and are semi-aggressive, as I have read about. Now that I'm ready to purchase one, I'm getting nervous about the sweepers and my horses. I keep erectus and I need some reassurance that this is truly a 0. There isn't much in the way of corals that are listed as a 0 and I'm surprised this one is. Does anyone have experience with these? I'd love to hear about real world experience before putting one in my tank!

Thank you for any advice!

Mine has sweepers too, but as with rotarygeek they are only about half an inch long. Actually, if you're interested I'd be willing to sell you mine.

I have two different ones, both from Australia. One has really taken off and started to encrust the rock and its three inch sweepers are out all the time.

3" sweepers? :unsure: Any chance you could touch them and see if they sting? J/K! :lol:

Mine has sweepers too, but as with rotarygeek they are only about half an inch long. Actually, if you're interested I'd be willing to sell you mine.

Where is yours from? Any idea? I'd love to see pics.

can the maze handle the diff in temp? doesn't the horsey tank have to be at like 64-70 degrees? just ran across this post. no idea what im talking about really. thats why i ask.

Matt

Different species have different temp ranges they're happiest in. I have erectus, and horses and corals all do well in my tank at 72-74 degrees which is where my tank sits most of the year. During the coldest months, it's a touch colder but everything seems to live through it just fine. 74 is definitely the high range of where erectus like to be though.

The brains I've got have really short "sweepers" and only rarely have them out during the day and I wouldn't think would be much of a problem. This isn't necessarily a good way to determine if it's safe but I haven't noticed welts from them like from Galaxia or Frogspawn. There are several genus that look very similar and could be called "maze brains" so there may be some confusion caused by the common name.

Mine is a neon aussie leptoria. I have only seen it's sweepers out in the day maybe a handful of time, bit they are almost always out at night. I'm not at home right now, bit will post pics when I get home

Archived