Removing bioballs.

Cory54

So from what i here the bioballs that go in chamber two of the biocube are bad. So is it safe to remove them from an established tank? also what should i put in the empty space live rock rubble?

yes, i would remove a little at a time. a few a week or so. i would put some live rock rubble in there and maybe some chaeto macro.

on another note, i have read that putting rock rubble in pretty much the same as putting bio balls and should be avoided. anyone else read about this?

I use the InTank media basket and love it. 10 bioballs at a time may be a little excessive, I've always heard no more than 5 per water change. The concern is that as you remove them, the detritus that builds up in them may get kicked back into the water, which can cause a mini-cycle. Live rock is marginally better than bioballs because it hosts beneficial bacteria, but can suffer the same detritus build-up/nitrate sink problem. Better to just keep some chaeto and media bags in the 2nd chamber. It's also a good idea to remove the stock sponge if you haven't already done so because it can also build up and hold a lot of gunk. Or just be sure to rinse it well in your drained water when you do a water change. But if you're using filter floss (and changing it regularly) you don't really need the sponge.