Ich on Purple Tang...

So my purple tang has one visible spot on its nose. Not flashing, and eats, swims and acts ok. I just put in a filter from a 10g power filter in the sump 5 days ago and while it is browning up, it is still fairly clean looking. I also have a 20l that I just bought but don't have a filter or lights for it.

The other fish seem ok. Should I treat with garlic for long enough to get the 20L up and running or should I just move the tang into the 10g now and hope that the filter will be able to grow enough bacteria to not kill the tang with ammonia?

Also, any ideas on how to catch a sick fish in a 75g?

Is the tang in the 75? I always soak my food in Garlic. My new Powder brown has shown some signs of Ich off and on, but he eats like a pig and shows no signs of being sick. If he is in the 75 I would leave him. Trying to catch him will only stress him out and make the Ich worse. I get my garlic at Sun Harvest. A 2 ml bottle of Kyolic 100% garlic oil is $15.

Ok so I am at a crossroads. The first spot seemed to be going away but now I just noticed 3 others. No other fish seems infected.

I have a light/lid for the 20l and just picked up a penguin 20g filter at RCA this afternoon. The biowheel is rubberbanded to a chunk of LR in my sump. I have the filter from the 10g powerfilter and around 10 bioballs in the sump as well. I have two options I guess.

1) wait it out. This seems hard to do since the outbreak appears to be advancing, albeit not plague proportions yet. I know removing 20g of water plus the rock to get at the fish, and I would remove them all, would be very stressful. I care for all of my pets and don't want to kill one or more through action or inaction. Obviously, the biowheel is not going to be ready for 10 to 14 days but I don't mind doing constant water changes (what would be needed? Just let the ammonia levels determine the amount?) When is it time to move them into the QT tank? If I see another fish with spots, I would think that is the time. How about just on the tang? If she continues to eat let it go longer than if she stops eating? I have several frozen foods - marine and freshwater mysis, Formula 2 and Mega Marine Algae. I have flake Form 2, Kent's garlic extreme drops and nori sheets. All fish have been eating well but I would say that the tang has been a little more reserved than normal.

2) Start the QT tank tonight or in the a.m. I would pump 20g out of the main 75 display tank into the QT. I have 20g of water jugs I could fill and then remove rock until I could net the fish and drop them into the qt where I have 7 different pvc joints, couplings and elbows waiting. If I waited until tomorrow, I would probably do a freshwater dip and then treat with copper (cupramine?- whatever seachem's copper is) and hyposalinity. Or would just the hypo salinity be better?

That is what I know now. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Updates on the tank:

I am a terrible diagnostician. The purple tang is healthy; swimming and grazing happily. I think she was actually agro at me by constantly trying to take her picture. The lawnmower blenny is my latest issue since he doesn't eat too much and is getting skinny- getting cleaned often by the skunk cleaner shrimp.

So... my tank is still healthy (knock wood) and the animals are still happy. I am keeping my fingers crossed but so far, so good.

• 9 months later...

this is how i do it: (may not work for the tang, since i think they go in hiding when the light is off)

but normally:

-to catch a fish, turn the light off, ie the tank light,

- you can have a dim room light so you can see where everything is

-carry a small flash light, locate the fish, turn on the flash light aim at the fish

- then scoop it up

you got about 5 sec or less to do so, since the fish is temporaly disoriented by the light

=)

I used this method, seem to work much better than chasing the fish around.

good luck

Updates on the tank:

I am a terrible diagnostician. The purple tang is healthy; swimming and grazing happily. I think she was actually agro at me by constantly trying to take her picture. The lawnmower blenny is my latest issue since he doesn't eat too much and is getting skinny- getting cleaned often by the skunk cleaner shrimp.

So... my tank is still healthy (knock wood) and the animals are still happy. I am keeping my fingers crossed but so far, so good.

Edited by bananags