Accidental Specimen Collection

Daisy82

So my husband and I went on a trip to Kauaii last week. Did some great snorkelling, and I dove down to collect a few shells that I stashed in my board shorts pocket. Well, I was just unpacking, got the shells out of my pocket and looked at them closely.... and realized that there were eyes looking back at me! Some of the shells had crabs in them!! I couldn't believe it - I thought they were empty. doh.gif I immediately dumped them in my tank, and they seem to be doing ok, which is pretty amazing considering the wild ride the poor guys have been on! Not to mention 3 days spent out of the water. I will definitely be taking a closer look next time I go picking up shells....

Hope they are friendly hermits that won't make meals of your other tank inhabitants!

I have several gulf coast hermits in my tank, supposedly they can last several days out of the water. They are nice when they are little, but they get big and then become destructive bullies. So I now have a couple that live in my sump!