Blue or Black?

Hydro

So I found a really nice navy blue and I painted the back and sides of the tank, looked awesome until I put in the 2 black overflow covers in there. The black overflows against the blue paint did not look good and was very noticable.

So....I scraped off all of the blue paint and repainted with a semi gloss pure black.

Including the time picking paint, having it mixed twice, 2 coats of blue, scraping it all off, 2 coats of black, I wasted a lot of time....

whoa....that's a lot of scraping. I am going with black on my new tank for the same reason.

See that was the problem. You never told us you had black overflows. I would have said black too. I had glass overflows so it basically disappeared.

I didn't even think about it until we installed the covers, as soon as we did I realized that blue wouldn't work. It actually scraped off fairly easy, I have some razorblade floor scrapers that are about 6" wide, they made short work of the paint removal. No big deal, was more of a pain in the a** to go and get more paint.

The black semi-gloss looks great.

• 1 year later...

Do y'all recommend using spray paint for painting the back? That OK?

Hydro used a oil based semi-gloss exterior, I've used the high temp spray paint for BBQ's but haven't tried taking it off which may be more difficult than with what Hydro used.

Thanks, so, no worries about residual 'degassing' from spray paint? (And yes, I'm painting the outside of the glass LOL) Spray paint can smell for quite a while after drying, made me wonder what it may be putting into the air and I'm not wanting to cause any undue stress on the tank critters. But if it is OK, I'll go that route. Should be several weeks between painting and using the tank. And I will probably go with black paint.

My 33g tank comes in on Thursday. I get to start a new build then. I'll even be good and make a build thread. :D

Oh, and sorry for the tread necro. I just try to avoid making a new thread for an old topic.