ricordea splitting again

KeeperOfTheZoo

I have a green ric I got from Laura back in, hmm, Dec. I think? It split once last month and then split again this month. Two of the larger rics already have 2 mouths a piece and one is in the process of splitting again. The original was on a round piece of shell which I glued to a large piece of base rock. ie- I can't pull any of them out of the tank.

I'm thrilled that the the rics are splitting so well. The question now is how do I go about getting one loose if I want to give one away down the road?

Yes, breaking/chiseling the rock works, but at my house, that requires putting my head and both shoulders into the tank while wearing snorkel gear. :) With my rics, the "new" one resulting from the split often will be just barely hanging onto the rock. Usually a gentle tug is all that's needed to free it. You might also try to pull one free with a hemostat. Grab as close to the base as you can. It'll tear things up a bit, but these guys are pretty though - you usually end up with the one you pulled free healing up just fine, and the remnants still attached to the rock often growing into a new polyp.

Well, duh... Thanks, Derek - yes, if you cut it off cleanly with a razor, the base will definitely regrow. I had removal on the mind instead of propagation.

Anytime. :)

Cool! So basically it's like fragging a mushroom then. I wasn't sure if the rics were tough enough to handle that.

I'm gonna let them split a few more times then I'll have to start removing the extras.

I feel kinda silly asking, but will different colored rics get along OK in close proximity? I'd like to add some more in different colors to the large rock my greens are on.