75 is coming along!!

diabeetus

well after months and months of waiting for a guy i work with to make a stand taller for my dad's 75g, we finally told him to just give it back cause we are so ready to get this thing started!! we got it at about 52" 42" to the top of the stand so we dont have to bend over to view, and we tore out the doors and drawers to make for a bigger inside-of-the-stand, and made new doors. were going to make the canopy a little taller too for easier mounting of the lights!! things are really coming along now!!

here are some pics:

post-1118-12726889833563_thumb.jpg here is the base that we made about 6" taller. (still needs to be stained)

post-1118-12726890307878_thumb.jpg here is 1 of 2 doors were putting on. much bigger than the original doors that were on it. these were custom made for this stand

post-1118-12726890876406_thumb.jpg here is the whole tank and stand shot. still needs some work, hopefully now on the canopy, then we will be well on our way to setting this thing up!! :D

actually 52" would be awesome for you, esp since you are taller than me and a 75g is shorter than a 90g like mine.

also, it looks like you are using a standard height stand and just raising it with a base. if you can figure out how to carve into the base would be nice, as i don't see how normal people fit stuff inside a standard height stand. i count my blessings that i have my 42" tall stand and have the room to cram all my stuff inside.

yeah, there was originally 2 drawers that were gutted out to maximize the space inside to stand. there is still 2 little oull-out trays, as you can see at the top of the stand that we decided to keep on there. but there seems to be a TON of space in there

• 4 weeks later...

soon there will be more pics!! :o this is such a slow processssssssssss.. im thinking we are going to build a different canopy so there is more room for the 500w of MH in there. thats another question i had, is 2 x 250w MH too much light for a 75? plus the 2 x 54w t5's. to me, it seems like 1x 250w mh would be fine, but idk. thery are retros so we could take one out if its too much i guess

soon there will be more pics!! :o this is such a slow processssssssssss.. im thinking we are going to build a different canopy so there is more room for the 500w of MH in there. thats another question i had, is 2 x 250w MH too much light for a 75? plus the 2 x 54w t5's. to me, it seems like 1x 250w mh would be fine, but idk. thery are retros so we could take one out if its too much i guess

Nope, its a good amount of light. i am using the 2x250 and all the corals love it.

Nope, its a good amount of light. i am using the 2x250 and all the corals love it.

I'm also at 2x250 MH and 2x54w T5s on my 75g.

The main issue you'll have with 500w MH in a 75 is heat. Make sure you account for that in your canopy with either fans or vents, and you can probably expect a lot of evap so an auto-topoff will be a necessity

• 4 weeks later...

The main issue you'll have with 500w MH in a 75 is heat. Make sure you account for that in your canopy with either fans or vents, and you can probably expect a lot of evap so an auto-topoff will be a necessity

yeah, we are in the process of building the canopy, but in the meantime are using the canopy from my 90 that is currently not in use right now. just filled the tank with about 30g of water last night. will get some pictures of the stand with doors mounted soon!!! :D

Is this the Papa Frye tank?

yup its looking awesome!! cant wait to show some pics!! we are both pretty excited about it!! i am all moved in to the apt!! super close to you these days, Mama!! :) you should come see the tank all set up over here :)

• 1 month later...

its all done now, but we still haave to find a decent matching stain, or clear coat for it. we made a different canopy for it and apparently there was something in the Birch that we were using that made our eyes swell shut and we couldnt open our eyes at all.

let me tell ya.. chemical burns in your CORNEAS is the most excruciating pain EVER!!! we didnt figure out what did it at first so we started working on the canopy again and of course it happened AGAIN!! but we didnt have to goto the hospital a second or third time luckily; the doc gave us extra vikadin to last us for a while!!

the doctor gave us these eye drops so we could open our eyes for a while, but they only lasted about 5 minutes before it became painful again. X(

post-1118-006697100 1280952569_thumb.jpg

post-1118-056232400 1280952661_thumb.jpg