Algae bloom after moving

mbender04

Is it common to have a big algae bloom after moving? My whole tank gets coated with what looks like diatoms and other patches of random algae (small patch of hair and small patch of red) I have tested the water over and over and all parameters are where they are supposed to be.

29gal

nitrate,nitrite,ammonia,phosphate = 0

dkh 9 calcium 450ppm

salinity 1.024 pH 8.3

The only other thing I can think of is that the room I have moved it too has MUCH more natural daylight than where I used to live. I have been living here for about a month now and just wondering if there is anything I can do to get rid of this nastiness.

I had a similar problem when I first set my tank up, because it sits about 3ft from a window that gets a lot of natural daylight.

I put window film on the window and since have not had the problem.

http://www.gilafilms.com/Residential/residential-window-film.htm

You can get it at any of the big box hardware stores.

Last time I suggested it though, someone chimed in saying it can void your windows warranty, so apply at your own risk.

I previously used it in an apartment, and removed it with no problem (just used a razor and some goo gone).

my algae problems went completely away after my move, most went away after switching to ro water then I guess the about 65% water change during the move completely got rid of it

Edited by netmaster