Phytoplankton

mhart032

I have, it = lot of upkeep. I would be down for doing a quarterly rotation. We can get a group of 5 ppl together. One person cultures for 3m for everyone, then move to the next the next etc. Or even better someone could grow it full time then I just pay you for bottles! :whistle:

Im going to try it, after doing research it doesn't seem that hard. just a little time consuming but seeing how i work from home that shouldn't be to big of a problem. thanks for the im put and advice. i have read the melvsreef DIY a few times and think i can get it done. if so i think this will save tons of cash. im already making my own food for feeding witch you wouldn't believe how much it saves and its super easy.

• 2 weeks later...

That's funny, I just recieved my roti culture from florida aqua farms. They sent rotifers, rotifer food, and some water conditioner. I have it set up in a 5 gallon bucket just as the directions say, air stone, and food added.

I would be glad to give some cultures away, any donations excepted though (it was $50 with shipping). They also sent for free a serious book about raising rotifers, so if anyone out there wants to ready it.....I did good to read the instructions smile.gif

I'm a little confused...do you guys want rotifers or phytoplankton? Do both grow at the same time in the cultures since both are added? I just got these to raise clownfish fry.

I also just remembered that this culture came from reef nutrition instead of florida aqua farms. I do however have dried rotifer eggs from florida aqua farms that I haven't used yet. I decided starting with a live culture was easier.

If you want to do roti you have to do phytoplankton. If we are serious about getting a group together with redundancy we should probably have a meeting about it.

They gave me phytoplankton in a bottle, is this live?

They gave me phytoplankton in a bottle, is this live?

You do not need live phyto to culture rotifers. The phyto I use to culture the rotifers were frozen.

I had only seen one other person interested so was going to do it separately. If we have a few people lets do a group buy. My only issue is that I will be going out of country for a while and didn't want to get the supplies until after that. Can we wait a month?

You can use phyto in a jar for rotifers but that ends up getting expensive in the long run. Most breeders grow their own phyto in a separate setup to feed the roti.

I was interested in setting up a "planktonreaktor." Basically you have a connected system with roti's on one side and phyto on the other. You set up a pump so that you drip phyto into the roti culture at a set rate. Then, as the roti's poo it fertilizes the phyto. It seems like a pretty easy setup and I'm wondering why I haven't seen more of it. Only way to find out is experimentation.

Don't know how much I can contribute on the time thing, but I would certainly like fresh phyto, roti's, and pods (especially pods), so I can definitely contribute money to the project for the order to get it set up.

Let me know.

Stephen