Filter Socks

lildodoo

I have a 4 in sock in my sump and it clogs up and overflows about every 3-4 days. I am wondering how many people use them and if it is really necessary. Also if you do use them what is the easiest and best way to clean them.

Thanks

If you are trying to get copepods from the refuge, thru sump, to your tank, won't that hinder it? That is why I stopped using them. I figured if it stopped small debri, it sould stop them too, which I didn't want.

Could be wrong on that one...

Stephen

Stephen it would depend on the direction the flow goes through your sump. I have always run my refugium after the filtration area and just before the return. Get the best of both worlds that way.

I never used any cleaning agent. I just turned them inside out and washed them on cold.

Gabriel,

I am not able to section mine off like that as you may remember from the last time you saw it (I understand that has been a while back). My sump is almost "central", in that overflow drains into sump, refuge drains into sump from other direction.

so you are saying as long as I used a filter sock on the overflow, and the refuge drain continues to drain into the sump from the other direction I should be okay?

Stephen

Socks can be a great physical filter. I like them much better than a sponge for thier ease of cleaning and swapping out. Also 100% filtration along with good bubble reduction by putting them in the flow directly coming from your tank into the sump. Negatives... Change them out every 2-3 days and throw them in the wash inside out. Does not seem all that bad.

Thanks for all the input. I don't mind using them, I just hate washing them all the time. I always just wash them under the kitchen facet, but feel that they just dont get clean. Used the power wash on them a few times that that worked great but was a pain to get the power wash hooked up and started just to clean a few filter socks. I will try to throw them in the wash the next time.

Archived