Ro/DI Question/Problem

dweyant

So apparently I have really bad water :lol:

The TDS on my well water is about 1800ppm. The water coming out of the RO membrane has a TDS of about 65.

Apparently (from what Bulk Reef Supply told me in an e-mail) I have delpeted my DI resin in less than 100 gallons of water.

So, my question is, does anyone know any way to lower the TDS on my supply water so my DI resin will last longer?

Thanks,

-Dan

Wow!! Do you have to scoop the water out with a spoon to use it?

I did a few quick google searches and there seems to be a place where that type of water condition is valuable... Ever thought of becoming a "Hemp Farmer"?

As far as a way to lower it, if you are on City Water, I might actually call the water company and see what they have to say about it?

-t

Hmm, might help pay for my hobbies :lol:.

It is well water so no city water company to call...

I did hunt around on google a bit and the only thing I could find was TDS in swimming pools, and they said to drain the pool and put in fresh water...

-Dan

Wayne,

How about acquiring a second membrane and a second DI canister? This may cut down on the TDS. As the water pass through the first membrane into of the second membrane. Then into the first canister of DI resin and out the second canister. As the TDS increases it will be a good indication its time to change the membrane. Then the DI resin. Rotate the first membrane and rotate the second membrane to the first and replace the second one. Do the same with the DI cartridge.

Also keep an eye on your sediment filter. By the way what is the micron size of your sediment filter? Also where is your TDS meter(s) located?

I do this with my carbon filters.

Just a suggestion.

you might have to install some kind of house water filtering system first. that way it is pre filtered before it goes into your RO unit. It will cost you but at least you will have fresher water to drink also

Edited by polarbear

I just ordered a maxcap from spectrapure today for my RODI... http://www.spectrapure.com/St_di_systems.htm

Get yourself another filter canister and a maxcap cartridge, and plumb before your DI resin cartridge to greatly extend the life of the resin, according to the web page. I'll let you know how it works once I get my system up and running...

--andrew

Yeah, more filtration is probably the answer. Getting a whole-house filtration system is probably the best bet, but if that isn't an option for whatever reason, I would double the number of sediment filters (run a coarse and a fine size in that order), get a second membrane with a high rejection rate (the higher flow 96% versions are no good in this case), and get a second DI. Not cheap, but more prefiltering (sediment filters) means longer membrane life and 2 membranes means longer DI life.

I'm certain that there is a whole house filtration option which would probably lessen the need to clean out your plumbing (sediment in the hot water heater probably will be a problem with that kind of TDS), but it is possible to do in just part of the RO/DI system. Good luck!

This is what I had to do to get my well water to 0 TDS. There are sediment filters of different sizes, I think that it goes 50 micron, 10 micron, and 10 micron in the group of filters on the left. Group on the right is carbon 1st and the 2 on the right side are 5 micron. Above that is the RO membrane and below is the DI filter.

I bought this as a package from Hydro Logic with a case of prefilters. The key to making your RO and DI work with well water is that you stay on top of changing the prefilters. Once they get clogged the water pressure will force thrash through the prefilter clogging up the RO membrane.

post-1255-12715541645636_thumb.jpg

I apologize for just chiming in on this but here goes.

Well water is notorious for depleting DI resin. One cause is CO2 in the water. Your TDS is also very high to begin with. I suggest you talk to an expert about what it will take to get more life out of you resin. You might ask at thfilterguys.biz, buckeyefieldsupply.com or spectra pure. I think all of them have a forum on reefcentral where you can ask. Not all situations require the same methods.

Danny

Yeah, more filtration is probably the answer. Getting a whole-house filtration system is probably the best bet, but if that isn't an option for whatever reason, I would double the number of sediment filters (run a coarse and a fine size in that order), get a second membrane with a high rejection rate (the higher flow 96% versions are no good in this case), and get a second DI. Not cheap, but more prefiltering (sediment filters) means longer membrane life and 2 membranes means longer DI life.

I'm certain that there is a whole house filtration option which would probably lessen the need to clean out your plumbing (sediment in the hot water heater probably will be a problem with that kind of TDS), but it is possible to do in just part of the RO/DI system. Good luck!

Whole house filtration gets my vote too. Seems to me the cost would pay for itself in reduced repairs down the road.

So apparently I have really bad water :(

The TDS on my well water is about 1800ppm.

Apparently (from what Bulk Reef Supply told me in an e-mail) I have delpeted my DI resin in less than 100 gallons of water.

If it killed your DI in less than 100G of water, I'd think it'd kill any pre-filter in the same time. Perhaps if you have multiple pre-filters, but at any rate, you'll have to change prefilter #1 in the same amount of time b/c it will be taking the same load. The ones behind it won't need to be changed as often, but #1 will.

Good gosh...maybe i'll think again about living out in the country! 1800 TDS is insane...I'd be worried about kidney stones!