Stick With ARC

pbnj

I'm staying off the other reef forums for a while. It's just too frustrating with all the "experts" out there.

Example: Apparently, low alkalinity and/or low pH can NEVER be the reason behind a coral bleaching.

Are you talking about your SPS? which corals are been affected?

-Cindy-

Give us a some feedback as to your set up and water parameters; also any changes that you might of done to the tank...for ex: new addition of livestock, change of lighting......

Are you talking about your SPS? which corals are been affected?

-Cindy-

Give us a some feedback as to your set up and water parameters; also any changes that you might of done to the tank...for ex: new addition of livestock, change of lighting......

Cindy, my corals are fine, but thanks for offering to help.

I suggested low alkalinity or low/fluctuating pH to someone on another forum whose corals were bleaching. I was quickly shot down by someone else who said that those factors couldn't possibly cause bleaching because the ocean's reefs have alkalinity levels under 7 dKH and "have daily pH swings a lot more than people are led to believe".

argue.gif

So, I guess everyone can stop dosing their tanks.....and toss-out those worthless pH probes! rolleyes.gif

Cindy, my corals are fine, but thanks for offering to help.

I suggested low alkalinity or low/fluctuating pH to someone on another forum whose corals were bleaching. I was quickly shot down by someone else who said that those factors couldn't possibly cause bleaching because the ocean's reefs have alkalinity levels under 7 dKH and "have daily pH swings a lot more than people are led to believe".

argue.gif

So, I guess everyone can stop dosing their tanks.....and toss-out those worthless pH probes! rolleyes.gif

wow...have them watch my show on low pH and they can see all the corals I lost to low pH. Since I've gotten my pH above 8.0, I haven't lost a single SPS (other than Green slimer which I've never been able to keep)

I'd suggest to that person that they should take their BEST acro colony and leave it out of the water for an hour or two JUST LIKE what happens in the ocean. Tell them to write back the next day (include pics!) to let you know what happened! laugh.gif

Seriously tho, everyone has an opinion and there are just as many opinions here on ARC. We're just nicer about it.

Seriously tho, everyone has an opinion and there are just as many opinions here on ARC. We're just nicer about it.

Agreed, but there's nothing wrong with differing opinions because that provides value. But it seems like on some of these bigger forums, there never seems to be any room for debate. You're always dead-wrong according to someone.

I suggested what I felt were some legitimate reasons for coral bleaching.....just suggested, mind you. I didn't say they were absolutely the reason(s). This person comes back with a definitive statement saying what I was suggesting just wasn't possible. It happens way too often.

Seems like someone would shoot you down even if you said that water makes things wet.

Agreed, but there's nothing wrong with differing opinions because that provides value. But it seems like on some of these bigger forums, there never seems to be any room for debate. You're always dead-wrong according to someone.

I suggested what I felt were some legitimate reasons for coral bleaching.....just suggested, mind you. I didn't say they were absolutely the reason(s). This person comes back with a definitive statement saying what I was suggesting just wasn't possible. It happens way too often.

Seems like someone would shoot you down even if you said that water makes things wet.

Sorry Pat.....I thought you had the problem LOL! I don't see any reason why people have to get their panties/underwear all tight up....I mean....whether is a suggestion, advice or from personal experience...hobbyists can make a well rounded decision and try to find a probable cause and solution.