lighting upgrade recommendations

wayneb

Recently purchased a 48" Coralight Pro HQ1 retro kit with 2x150w de MHs and 2 96w actinics from Crab Rangoon (fka OoVWoO) to be used as a base lighting fixture for a 125 g (48x24x24) tank. Looking at MarineandReef.com Retrofit lighting chart (http://www.marineand...cles.asp?ID=122) for an all

purpose reef tank of that size calls for -48" Hamilton Metal Halide 2X250W MH, 2X96W CF (692W Total) or

-THREE 48" Aqualight CF 4x65W (780W total). As I am not ready to upgrade to 250 MHs, I would like some advice on what other retrofit T-5 lighting kits I should add (plus any recommended K values) to supplement the basic fixture.

Thanks,

wayneb

The light set that you have should be good for a while if you're just starting up the tank IMHO. You should be able to grow softies / LPS / and SPS near the top of the tank. For a 24" deep tank the 250W MH are preferred but not necessary to have a nice aquarium, you just need to structure evrything according to its lighting needs in your tank. I'm not sure who told you that you need 3 x 250 MH for that tank but personally I think that 3 of them would be overkill. 2 x 250's (I like 14K myself) with good reflectors (I like the lumenarc 3s) plus maybe a few LEDs for moonlight would be more than adequate for anything in a tank that size IMPE.

Have spent the day exploring my options on additional retrofit lighting. Think I came up with a combination that would be both cost effective and suitable for my initial needs.

First I want to thank both Wryknow and Christian14 for their inputs. However need to mention that the lighting chart referenced was for either using the Hamilton fixture w/ 2 175w halide bulb and 2 96w T5s for a total of 692w or using 3 sets of fixtures each made up of 4 65w T5s (12 total T5s) for a total of 780w.

I think that if I go with the 48" coralife Pro HQ1 on hand and add a Miro-4 T5 Hi o/p retrofit kit containing 2 48" 54w T5s (kit comes with ballast and choice of bulbs). With the two bulbs being ATI 12000K and an ATI Blue Plus. Plus getting the parts to add another 24w, 24" 12000K bulb and a Miro-4 24" reflector for the rear of the canopy. (allow low light areas in the rear corners of the tank for specialize corals) This will provide a total of approx 525w. Realize this is low, but when upgraded to 2 250 Halites in the future will give me a total of about 725w. Reviewed the Reefuxs and will probably go with them in the 250 Halite fixtures.

As I said cost effective as the addition will run about $300.

Again, as usual will appreciate any feedback or further recomdations.

Thanks,

Wayneb

If you're upgrading by adding T5's or VHO's to the current rig, I would consider the following:

- you can use whiter MH bulbs with better spectrum for growth & a brighter illumination of the aquarium, but you will want to offset it by focusing on a well rounded array of actinic bulbs.

- alternatively, using a 50/50 or 60/40 mix on the blue vs white spectrum on your non-MH bulbs will allow for you to substitute a 12-20k MH bulb, and being able to run the MH for fewer hours - meaning your bulbs will last many months longer down the road, and your tank may not peak at temps anywhere near needing a chiller.

If you are setting it up with growth-purpose halide bulbs, you'll want them on for 6-7hrs a day for sure, but if you went with the latter, you could easily run the MH for a 3.5-4.5hr window every day, with the other lighting on for the remainder of your photo period. This would save you on heat, electricity, and stretch out the bulbs life (in # of months) all while giving you the spectrum/colors/growth you're wanting (so long as the bulb combo is right). I'd say you're well set with the pair of 150's, as long as you choose your other bulbs wisely for whatever it is you're trying to do.