Noisy Wavebox!

Meteorflower

Hi everyone! I am happy to say that I am now the proud owner of my very first Tunze Wavebox! However, in setting it up, I have found that no matter how I fiddle with it, the wavebox makes a sort of... well, snoring sound with each cycle. Is this normal? As far as I can tell, there's no air getting into it... but it's in my bedroom, and it's making me a little nutty! Can anyone offer some troubleshooting advice? It's a brand new full size wavebox that I just bought from Aquatek today. Thanks!

Try lowering the wavebox, may not be cycling enough water just sucking water and air causing it to make the snoring sound.

Mine makes the same noise if I don't get the water change done before the wavebox cycles on.

Also, what is the voltage set @? (Its a slide setting on the box where the power plugs in). If its real high, then you can hear the pump working.

Also, you might have it too low, so water is coming in over the top.

I can try to lower it a little, but much lower and water will be coming over the top, which I understand is not what I want. Is the voltage the one that's controlled by the little white knob? I haven't tried adjusting that yet, but I honestly thought it might be too low because I'm not seeing a whole lot of motion in the tank when the wavebox is on...

More info on its placement: I have it in the back right corner of the tank facing the front pane of glass (like in Aquatek's display tank). In order to get it high enough to prevent water from spilling over the top, the box's top magnet in the back is halfway onto the trim of the tank. And, I think I lost some of the little squishy beads that adhere to the magnets when I was adjusting the position of the box. Could either of these things be causing the noise? Because I can get down on the carpet with a flashlight and try to find the little squishy things, but they're clear, so that might not be easy!

I can try to lower it a little, but much lower and water will be coming over the top, which I understand is not what I want. Is the voltage the one that's controlled by the little white knob? I haven't tried adjusting that yet, but I honestly thought it might be too low because I'm not seeing a whole lot of motion in the tank when the wavebox is on...

No, the white knob adjusts the cycle time (push/pull) of the pump. Something to note is that your cycle time will probably be very fast - i.e. towards the low end of the knob. I made the mistake of thinking that a long cycle time would make the wave, but I was way wrong. Right now my tank gets a 1/2" wave and the box is just a small bit above as short of a cycle time as possible.

To adjust your wave, turn the knob all the way to the left (counter clockwise), then SLOWLY increase it by small amounts. Make an adjustment and give the box a minute or two to see what it does with the wave. You'll think you are getting no where then all of the sudden, the wave will start. A couple more small adjustments and you'll have it dialed in. You can even continue to turn the knob past where the wave started and you'll see how a long cycle time affects your tank.

The voltage knob is a slide switch that is located not on the controller (box with the white knob) but instead on the other box where the power and the controller plug connect.

Can you post a photo of the wavebox placement? This may also help.

Mark is correct that's how we balance my wavebox. However I don't think the large wavebox has voltage regulator on the power supply. This assuming you have a 6215

According to Tunze; The Wavebox has been fitted with a power supply unit (article No. 6101.240)(2) with two adjustment possibilities set by the lateral jumpers (3). Adjustment 18V direct current (delivery state.

The setting to 18 V or 24 V is very easy by changing the jumper (3), which is located at the lower side of the power supply unit (2).

Here is a link to the owners manual if you need it:

Tunze 6215 Wavebox

However I don't think the large wavebox has voltage regulator on the power supply.

My 6212 (large wavebox) pump has a screw adjuster that cranks the impeller velocity up or down. It's different from the white knob on the controller that adjusts the cycle time.

I have the 6212 in my 75g. I bought it for my 240g, but I've been running it in the 75g for the time-being. It works and is very quiet, but I can't get it to make a huge wave (maybe a 1/2 inch). I think it will work better on the longer tank, where I can increase the cycle time.